Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
StephenB
Guru
@Chevyboy67  wrote:

The moderators select the status on who’s involved and what knowledge they have.

Just to clarify - the status is normally based on the number of posts the user has made.

@Ahzoov, @s_tohm , @JLag :   This is a community forum, where users can share experiences/ideas and help one another.   We all agree that Arlo should provide custom alert sounds. @Chevyboy67 is just pointing out another approach that he's found also solves the problem.  No need to attack him because the app he found isn't free.

dcfox1
Master

@StephenB  Well said. 

weswag
Novice

I'm using five Arlo camera units, each of which send a phone chime to alert upon movement detection.  They all chime with the same tone.  I would like to be able to assign each camera a unique tone, so that we know which unit is detecting movement.

sky-2-pilot
Novice

I would like a choice of alerts... audio sounds so I can hear them at midnight when something crosses the beam.

Blofeld
Aspirant

6 years later and on version 3.2 of the app and this feature is still missing? I am trying to configure a permanent alarm sound on my phone once a motion has been detected. Is there a solution? 

djskyhawk
Star

I don't know what OS all of you are using, but there is a way for custom alerts on android, sorry Apple people.  Here are the steps: go to settings-apps-Arlo-notifications (turn on)-notifications-turn on alerts-sounds, then pick the sound you want from the sounds on your phone.  I don't think there is a way to have each camera have it's own sound, that would be nice and require a lot of programming.  IOS people, I can't help, Apple is too controlling.

jgw_atx
Fledgling

> IOS people, I can't help, Apple is too controlling.

Just to clarify again, for the 100th time in this thread,  this is absolutely positively 100% not an Apple problem.  Many IOS apps allow you to configure your own alert sounds - I use them daily.  Arlo simply does not want to fix this problem for IOS.  Maybe they just don't have enough IOS clients to spend money on the app, or maybe their one IOS developer doesn't know how to do it.  But it definitely has nothing to do with IOS - this is 100% on Arlo.  This thread has been open for 6 years and it's pretty clear by this point that this is never going to be fixed.

I bought Arlo's baby monitor in 2018 so I could put the kid down for a nap and be notified if she wakes up when I go out to the garage, walk across the street to the neighbor's house, etc.  My daughter is now 5 years old and can come find me herself.  I am very glad that I never bought any other cameras because this would be absolutely unusuable as a security product.  Hopefully I can sell this product to someone who has an Android phone, since it is almost worthless for its intended purpose for IOS users. 

Blofeld
Aspirant

I used the IFTTT app (Apple app store https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id660944635) to create 2 events for 2 cameras that trigger an automated VOIP call on my mobile. This was free so far and works well. I just tested it.
More info can be found here: https://ifttt.com/arlo

Chevyboy67
Tutor

@jgw_atx ive had iPhone for years. Please tell me what apps actually let you configure because I have a **bleep** ton and none of them let you set the different alert types . Just asking not starting a fight.  I’ve been up and  down this road since day one with arlo.  

jgw_atx
Fledgling

@Chevyboy67  PagerDuty is one example of an iOS app I use on a daily basis  that has configurable alert tones - tones that are custom to the app itself, not just the default/stock iOS sounds.    Screenshot