Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
usacopy
Novice

Ring tones for hearing loss customers

LornaA
Guide

I don’t think Arlo cares one bit about the notification issue. I haven’t seen any response from Arlo regarding it, which to me is almost worse than doing nothing to fix the problem. The lack of respect for their users disgusts me.  I think the only thing we can do now is discourage others from purchasing their cameras. I have friends and neighbors who know I have installed Arlo cameras and have asked if I’m happy with them. I tell them I’m not and why. It won’t help us get what we want but will definitely cause them to lose any potential buyers.

kushdeck
Onlooker

here is the best update i could get my hands on. 

https://twitter.com/ArloSmartHome/status/1220475651469324288

Jadarve
Aspirant

Nice news Kushdeck!

First step from Arlo after many years... Could you please mark as Favourite the mark from Twitter just to let them see we are very angry with this subject? Unfortunately I have no Twitter user account...

https://twitter.com/ArloSmartHome/status/1220475651469324288

smv
Onlooker
Onlooker

So to with Android users, eh? I guess the only way is the i(diot)OS way...

Mtnman57
Onlooker

Android users have notification change capability already and have had that for awhile.  IOS has not.  I suggest you learn to use your android software before making messes up comments towards iPhone users.  

asmadking
Initiate

Yes, Android users can customize which notification sound is for Arlo - BUT let's remember that this thread isn't about IOS. Here's the original post:

"Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts."

I agree that as an Android user, I am one step ahead of an iPhone user in that I can at least choose a custom notification sound. But this wasn't intended to be about that. This was about being able to customize within the app notification sounds for certain situations. Once IOS is all squared away with a custom notification just like Android now has, you'll see that you're not even that much better off. You'll see that the problem is that a custom notification simply means that EVERY TIME Arlo alerts you, it is limited to that one sound... regardless of which camera and regardless of which time of day. I SLEPT THROUGH a notification last night. Was it custom? Sure. But I can't have Arlo screaming bloody murder at me during the day... like I want it to at night. This whole issue goes WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY beyond IOS.

smv
Onlooker
Onlooker

EXACTLY my point (Going beyond OS). Yet Arlo's answer (according to the tweet above) is "Our team continues to work on releasing an update to allow for iOS users to customize their Arlo notification alerts." In other word, "To  with Android users."

Chevyboy67
Tutor

Not too sure why you droid users are complaining or I’m reading this right but I’m pretty sure from when I had a galaxy otw 9 you were able to make alerts for every app on your phone.  iPhone users such as me again cannot.  I just recently went to twitter made an account and blasted them as well as made a video on you tube.  Seems it doesn’t phase them.  But what I can tell you I have tried other cameras out there and still revert back to Arlo even as bad as they are with certain things.  I have Arlo pro 2 and they have been running for ever in 2 different states and my only complaint is the alerts.  So everyone make a twitter account and start blasting. It’s the only way you’ll be heard.  Netgear doesn’t monitor this junk

asmadking
Initiate

Yes, we can choose a different alert sound for the entire app, so Android is ahead in that respect. But once iOS gets this you'll see that it doesn't really help out a lot because you'll set the notification to, let's say, just a different kind of beep or tone or whatever. Something you can hear in a quiet room... but not the grocery store. Something you can hear in the office while you're in an important meeting... but not while you're asleep. That's why this is a bigger issue than just iOS. I'm sure it will help a little to get what Android users already have, but this isn't an us vs. them issue. This is an app limitation issue that goes deeper because in order to truly be a SECURITY product, the alerts need to behave in a way that supports that purpose. Right now, they don't, not even for Android users. An Android user has to select ONE notification sound for EVERY activity from every Arlo device, regardless of whether it's just a bug crawling across the front door camera in the middle of the day or a prowler lurking in the backyard in the middle of the night. Same sound. That's the problem. Again, I think Android users appreciate that we have that one slight advantage, but don't dismiss the deeper frustration - which belongs to ALL of us. Maybe you'll see one day soon. In the meantime, I'm frustrated, too, that even Arlo has turned this into an IOS issue, which it isn't. For all I know, this is all intended to sell more hardware - a bedside speaker or something they'll come up with.