Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
Lo3an
Guide

You can read here.  Apparently, there are less iPhone users compared to Android users.  That is why there is no option to change the sound.

What I am told is:

"You can change the notification sound in the Android app. And since android has a 84.2% market share and Iphone only has a 15.6% market share, it makes sense that features come to android first. So statistically the changing the notification sound only affects a small percentage of people. "

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-H11-not-charing-amp-draining-battery-in-2-hours-R...

ElDeeBee
Onlooker

In response to the inofrmation Lo3an Tutor recently posted;

Sure.  I (we) completely understand the need to service what is probably your largest market first.  Absolutely no qualms about that at all.  However, a business shouldn't simply ignore the rest of their customers because it's an inconvenience for them to ask their professionals to write some code.  I'm no code writer but, honestly, it can't be that difficult.

Also, just because the market share (national? global? didn't specify) of Iphone users is only 15.6% doesn't mean your customers fall into that same percentage.  It's quite possible IOS users make up a higher percentage of the Arlo market share by comparison.

Ugh, I'm just ranting.  It's just frustrating to see inaction....nay, indifference as it pertains to this issue.  We are your customers also!

Sissyhas
Novice

yes PLEASE individual sound for each camera would be so useful and would make the camera so much more functional for me. I would love to know by the alert sound what camera just had been activated . PLEASE!!!!!

Maxiehouse
Aspirant

Thank you Ambrroo for your suggestion. I tried it but unfortunately my email is not push so it still doesn’t fix it for me.  Nice suggestion though 

Igstt
Novice

Makes no sense having these notifications the same as the rest. I just bought 10 Arlo Pro, I will return them and go for Ring

MilesSmith
Aspirant

it was working smooth on my android phone when it was running on android version 6.0.1 however as I have updated to android version 7.1.1 whenever now I am opening the app it only loads a blank screen on the start up and crashes after a while automatically. How do I fix it?

MilesSmith
Aspirant

Katt765
Onlooker

I’ve just thought of a workaround. Not ideal but it should work. Create an email account that you’ll only use for Arlo alerts eg arloyourname@gmail.com. Have all your Arlo alerts go to this this. Add this email account to your ‘accounts and passwords’ on your iPhone. Then you can set the sound alert to something louder and longer. 

Juliet011
Fledgling

Netgear - What a Shame!  It is so frustrating to be so satisfied with a product's main purpose such as the Arlo Pro security system and yet be so very disappointed because of Netgear's inability to improve the notification sound for IOS users.  If I had any idea the push notification sound was so useless I never would have bought the Arlo system.  Many have asked if I would recommend after finding out of my recent purchase and I have to say No I would not recommend ONLY because of the fact that the notification sound is useless and therefore the security system is useless.  What a Shame!

CDRK
Star

Adding to the list of frustrated iPhone users.  Please add the ability to change the notification sound on iPhones.  This is not a major technilogical feat - it is not that difficult a feature to add.  Just about all my other apps with notifications allow me to choose my sound, why can't Netgear make this change?  To distinguish between motion detection and text message alerts I have had to change my text message alert sound, which I didn't want to do but saw no other way around it.  I want to keep my old text message alert sound and be able to select my Arlo notification sound to a louder and longer one from the standard iPhone sound menu.  Netgear: Please fix this!