Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Continuously Record: 30 second buffer before motion capture trigger.

I am monitoring to try to capture someone who is harassing one of the tenants in our duplex by leaving items in the porch-mounted mailbox.

I have been running tests on the motion-capture sensitivity of the camera, and even though the camera is in a fantastic location, it doesn't trigger the recording if I just quickly walk up and place something into the mailbox.

A person or object seems to need to really get close to the camera or loiter for a good 5 seconds or so before the infrared sensor picks it up.

I have been getting a few notifications of motion-capture today that haven't captured anything at all, so a solution to this could be to have a continuous 30-second buffer to show what was being recorded before the motion-capture was triggured.

The arlo can run a continuous live-stream with a 30-second buffer, meaning it always only has the previous 30-seconds worth of footage recorded in the cloud. All information beyond that 30-second window is continuously dumped.

Then, when the ARLO motion-sensor is triggerd, it will create an "anchor point" in the live stream to hold the last 30-seconds, and then it can record the next 10-seconds to 120-seconds additionally.

This way, if it was just a dog running by that triggered the camera, you can see the dog run by up to and after the trigger. Also, if someone just quickly walks up to the mailbox or your front door, and it only takes a couple of seconds, then the trigger might be able to capture the person walking up as opposed to only catching them walking away.

Thanks!

Comments
Noslek
Initiate

gerardvagyok wrote:

Would like to set the delay manually between the moment when no motion is detected anymore and the recording stops. 

Sometimes the recording stops too fast and it generates many short consecutive clips instead of one longer recording.

Agree with the above + 1 for this option

I agree, this is a function that is needed.  Sometimes a subject will trigger the motion sensor when they enter the frame and will stop moving which results in the video stopping.  They are still in frame just not moving enough to keep the video recording.  I would like to be able to control the duration once motion is detected.  There is an option to set the duration for all videos within a rule but I am not sure if the timer resets if motion is detected during the initial recording.

I just tested the "fixed length" recording and the timer does Not reset when motion is detected during a video.  If the timer was to be reset when motion is detected it could allow users to control the duration of the video after motion.

DanRagle
Follower

gerardvagyok wrote:

Would like to set the delay manually between the moment when no motion is detected anymore and the recording stops. 

Sometimes the recording stops too fast and it generates many short consecutive clips instead of one longer recording.

+1. I'm a new Arlo Pro user and was just about to suggest this myself. Having trouble finding balance between "too many short clips" (and perhaps more importantly, too many notifications to go with the short clips) and too much wasted video.

Setting the video to record "until activity stops" doesn't seem to help; and in fact for me produces more short videos than setting it to, say, 10 seconds; since a person will pause for a moment in their activities, which will stop the current event and start a new one as soon as the person moves again.

xsjx
Aspirant
+5
smurfgun
Aspirant

I was just looking for this feature. Is Netgear monitoring these requests?

JamesC
Community Manager

smurfgun,

The Arlo development team does monitor these requests and is working hard to deliver new features to all existing Arlo product lines. I encourage you to continue offering your support for new ideas by adding Kudos.

JamesC

JamesC

It would be useful if there was a list of what was being worked on by development. All we have now is the status on our posts. This post is still at "New Idea". If there is a way to see what is being developed please let us know. 

Thanks 

alanferg
Tutor

Would like to see this feature.

DKit
Novice

a continuous DVR isnt necessary. i too do not like missing people's faces when the arlo "does" detect motion. the original poster's idea, to continuously save a 30 second "ring" buffer in hardware, wouldn't be hard to do. the oldest frames can be thrown away as newer frames are "recorded". as soon as motion is detected, the 30 second buffer would be prepended to the video that is captured. voila! we can see people's faces as they approach to door!

+1 for this feature, please!!!