Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting Orbi to Arlo

It's time you add support between your Orbi and Arlo product lines. 

I have an Arlo VMC3030 (video) and an Orbi AC3000 (wifi). It would have been great if e.g.

1. The VMC3030 could expand the range of the Orbi system in order to get even better WiFi coverage.
  2. The Orbi system could be used to extend the range of the Arlo cameras, enabling greater distance between the cameras
  3. Enable distribution of Arlo camera contents in the local network (use the Arlo cameras as WiFi Web-Cams), so that anyone on the local network could see the latest video or the latest screenshot from the cameras
Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

GaryInEdmond
Guide

I agree with the OP.  One of the main drawbacks to the arlo cameras is their limited range.  Your Orbi router has incredible range.  If the orbi offered native arlo support, the range in which cameras could be placed and still receive connection would be greatly increased without having multiple base stations.

AndyTT
Novice
I agree with needing to use the Orbi to extend the range.. Where i live all houses are thick brick, and wifi devices never have the range advertised because of this. I have 3 Orbi's for a moderate sized house, and need to piggy back off this wifi range. Buying multiple arlo base stations makes little sense - especially financially. I'm also not clear how multiple base stations works with the IOS app?
JamesC
Community Manager

AndyTT,

Additional base stations can be added (no limit) by using the "Add Device" button after logging in to your account. Once added, the base station will function within the app the same as any other base stations you already own.

JamesC

JesseH
Follower

Can not agree with AndyTT more.  It makes zero sense to require an arlo access point to be plugged into every Orbi extender.  The only thing it will do is eat up spectrum that orbi could be using. Make arlo cameras able to join an Orbi network please.

Jesse

kennedycraig
Fledgling

Can we (please, please, please) make use of existing mesh wifi, like orbi, to extend the base station range. It's very poor product design to have a reasonably weak base station that can only be extended (not just repositioned) through an existing mesh wifi network. 

Jim3204
Fledgling

Have just purchased an ARLO system and am disappointed with the range of wifi in my house for the cameras.  

Please find a way for cameras to use the existing wifi (Netgear Orbi) for connecting back to the Arlo basestation.

StephenB
Guru
@Jim3204  wrote: Please find a way for cameras to use the existing wifi (Netgear Orbi) for connecting back to the Arlo basestation.

Arlo was spun off from Netgear back in 2018, so there won't be any special integration with Orbi.

The Video Doorbell does connect directly to your existing WiFi, and it is possible that future cameras will do that also.  Note the doorbell doesn't use the base station at all.  

There is also an idea in the exchange about creating a wifi-connected base station, which would allow base stations to be added more easily.  Though if you have an Orbi, you can connect a second base to any of your (indoor) Orbi Satellites.

TomMac
Guru

BTW, as a PS...

Orbi was once considered to include arlo base system... also it was tested on 2 previous router systems ( a mobile nighthawk and R7000 model come to mind ). All of these were tested and found to be excessively difficult to maintain separation between the sw base and router itself.... Obv they were  all discontinued and TMK no longer function as such.

So, been there, got the tee-shirt, it didn't work well.