Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera positioning setting - option to disable shaded area

Can we have an option to be able to enable/disable the shaded top third area in the camera positioning setting so that it will pick up motion?

What is the point of the activitiy zones when they don't work in this area?

Why are these cameras limited to only record motion 66% of the view rather than the entire field of view?

Most of the time my cameras do not record the entire activity as the camera activates too late when the person enters the field of view of the camera because the top region does not pick up motion.
Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi pineapple16,

Could you clarify on the first question you mentioned? Could you provide a screenshot? 

@pineappleguy16 wrote:
Can we have an option to be able to enable/disable the shaded top third area in the camera positioning setting so that it will pick up motion?

If you're having problems with your activity zones not working properly, refer to this article: How do I troubleshoot problems with Arlo activity zones?

Hi please see attached article regarding top third shaded area which does not pick up motion:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062211/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Ultra-camera-to-detect-motion-in-specific-ar...

Even when you setup an activity zone in this region, it does not pick up motion.

This thread for reference where a user was getting hundreds of recordings on the entire field of view of the camera and suddenly after a firmware update where they implemented this new feature by adding the shaded region, their recordings dropped significantly.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/SmartHub-VMB5000-amp-Ultra-VMC5040-Performance-after-latest...

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Try referring to the article if you're having problems with activity zones. If you still have problems, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Hi, the article regarding the activity zones do not help in this case. The fact is Arlo released a firmware update where they implemented a new feature that disables motion detection at the top third of the camera. 

It would be good if they allow the user to be able to disable this feature so we could get motion detection on the entire camera.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

You can disable Activity Zones so you can have motion detected on the entire area. You can read here to learn how to optimize motion detection if it isn't working properly: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo camera?

If you still have problems, contact the Support Team so they can further assist you. You'll find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

I could tell you right now that these cameras do not detect motion on the top third of the screen whether or not if activity zones are setup. I am guessing you did not read the article I posted above so here is a screenshot for you to see.

20201230_092451.jpg

Screenshot_20201230-092115_Arlo.jpg

See the shaded area on the screen where the truck is? That shaded area does not record motion.

I've spoken to tech support too, this area does not pick up motion.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for clarifying on that. You're correct where the disabled shaded area does not record motion. We appreciate you posting your idea/feedback here. Our development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. Again, we greatly appreciate your contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. 

HotLoveMonkey
Aspirant

exactly. why remove a detection area without the ability to change it?

Absolutely terrible. When someone pays for a camera, the expectation is that the cameras will record the entire region visible. If someone chooses to implement certain regions to record, they can do so. But It is unfortunate that Net gear chose to permanently remove 2/3 region of the camera and not give an option of any kind to disable that. It is like taking a car that only drives at 40 miles/hour and the higher speeds are disabled. Absolutely bad and horrible idea. I would not recommend these cameras to anyone now.