Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera add-on that can report wind direction, speed, temperature, and humidity

How about an Arlo Weather Station

Cameras are great, but how about an add-on that can report wind direction, speed, temperature, and humidity ? 

Comments
RC
Initiate
Initiate

I am looking to purchase Arlo, but noticed that it records only after motion is detected.  That is exactly what I am looking for to monitor doors and my driveway.  I have one more monitoring requirement which is to monitor the temp of my house.  This is a vacation home and i want to heat it during the winter and would like something that would constantly monitor the temp and send me an alert should it drop below a threshold (say 40 degrees).  I know the Arlo system is not a good fit for this, but are there other NetGear products that do this?

Moscard
Star

Hi, I am an arlo user,

From my point of view it is a little bit out of the scope of Arlo system.

For doing that, I use 2 different systems, Arlo for autside video monitoring, trigered by motion detection, which is enough for me, especially acounting the fact that Arlo do not need any wire to work.

The second system monitor the inside house : Temp, Humidity, motion detection, sounds and also equipped with a camera. For that I use Piper, but there are other similar inexpensive, easy to instal monitoring/Alarm systems.

JamesC
Community Manager

Chuck-VA,

Great idea, thanks for sharing!

AncientGeekVT
Apprentice

Since the Arlo Pro obviously has an embedded thermal sensor, could you display the temperature on the various images and videos or at least on the Live View?  That would be handy information especially if we are remotely monitoring the site and the cameras are off due to cold temperatures.  If we could see the current temperature and we know roughly the temperature at which the cameras normally shut off, we would have some idea about how close we might be to seeing the image again.

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the communities contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on it's potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Thank you,

JamesC

rottielover
Tutor

I'd like to add-on to this idea and would like you to expose the temp to 3rd party services like SmartThings, IFTTT, and Stringify.

I could do many things but one use case would be to send me a notification if the temp rises or drops to a certain level.  Or you could even have strinigy log the temp to a spreadsheet if you wanted for some reason, but it would make it possible.

It's surpising how many uses you start to think of after something like that get's exposed to the services 🙂

Chuck0318
Fledgling

I had the same thought. I presume someone at Netgear HQ monitors this list and adds this to the ToDo list.

AncientGeekVT wrote:

Since the Arlo Pro obviously has an embedded thermal sensor, could you display the temperature on the various images and videos or at least on the Live View?  That would be handy information especially if we are remotely monitoring the site and the cameras are off due to cold temperatures.  If we could see the current temperature and we know roughly the temperature at which the cameras normally shut off, we would have some idea about how close we might be to seeing the image again.

MrMonkeh
Tutor

Great idea, this would be useful in my babies room especially (where I use Arlo Pro)

DoinitSideways
Apprentice

+1

Its actually quite disappointing that it isnt standard for the Arlo Baby to constantly be displayed as an icon.

Kshuter
Novice

I agree that showing temp at the camera on the app feed would.be very helpful and am surprised it is not standard.