Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

CVR to local storage

I'd like to request that the Arlo Q Plus CVR be stored locally rather than the cloud.  ISP's are placing bandwidth caps on most of their services now and I can see CVR to the cloud for a bunch of cameras as a problem.  I know that you can record to a micro SD card, but this only records motion and sound events, not CVR.  Additionally, according to the support site, there is no way to view the SD cards remotely.  You have to pull them from the camera and plug them into a PC.

Comments
No2Arlo
Novice

I finally received my Arlo Pro 2 5-camera system and was excited to start setting it up, knowing that it allowed for CVR.  After carefully reading the feature set on the box and stumbling across this post I've actually taken the time to register and submit this comment.

I will be returning the system, unopened, this afternoon for the multitude of reasons already expressed by commenters before me.  What a shame and a total waste of my time and effort.  This was my first, and unless things change, last Arlo purchase.

ArloUser145
Novice

So yeah.

I've read good reviews, spent €180+ on Arlo Q Plus, bought microSD for €30 and then I read this thread.

Nice going, Netgear.

I really feel like an idiot.

keldertron
Aspirant

Also agree with this thread. We've been using the cameras as triggered events until we could get them wired. There's SO MUCH  they miss, which defeats the purpose of the cameras. Now that we have them wired, we're totally bummed to see the cost PER CAMERA to have to store them to the cloud only in order to access the videos. We need remote access as we check on our property often due to neighbours that regularly vandalize our property. We should have added onto our EZVIZ units instead, which do everything we want already - they just weren't available when we needed the cameras!

pjt85
Tutor

Agree this is a great feature that should be available. I would also like to access the CVR recordings for storage should something happen. (not sure if this is already possible and i couldn't find it, but all i could seem to access was the timeline)... Also high speed scrubbing during swiping through the timeline would be a great feature please Arlo! If i needed to provide the CVR footage to law enforcement for example, how would i do it if i can't download it from a library somewhere?

Below is just a little PSA for the general population before considering CVR based on my experience;

After using CVR for just 12 hours I cancelled the subscription as there was no way for it to be toggled off/on (contrary to the advice provided above by dragging from active to inactive [i didnt have that option - may have just been me though]. Arlo have confirmed i will be refunded the CVR cost, so kudos to them given i only had it running for 12 hours to test it out on one camera. 

I wanted to toggle it off as the CVR just crushed my bandwidth which uncovered a few immediate issues for me;

• Arlo Camera/Basestation couldn't get recordings during the time CVR was active to the cloud (i found the recordings on my SD Card - thanks Direct Access!!), and after cancelling the CVR plan they still don't show up in the cloud library.
    • 1 recording did, but was a thumbnail and the recording was 0 seconds, yet the local copy was for 10 seconds
  • Using other internet services like Netflix and Kayo became impossible while CVR was active. 

I know these issues are to do with my own internet speeds [current 10mbs/750kbps [ADSL2+]), and i get a much better connection in 28 days (moving to 100mbps/40mbps [FTTC]), so will retest CVR impact then.

Perhaps a warning on the subscription page Arlo of expected bandwidth consumption for the consumer to consider before taking on the plan? I knew it would need bandwidth, but had no idea it would be so hungry... A notice would be especially important for those who don't have 'unlimited data' on their internet plans, as they may not realise this contributes toward their data usage.

Lizlog
Novice

+1 To this feature. I would love this!!!

pjt85
Tutor

Seems to me like people have been asking for this for 3 years now... @JamesC what does it take for the community to get traction on a feature like this? Is there a roadmap that can be shared in the community of current projects/initiatives with expected timelines? If I'm honest, three years of numerous customers asking for the same thing isn't great, and think of all the extra revenue this would bring! 

Cwalla
Aspirant
Hi, just a suggestion about cvr, how about Arlo makes it so that we can record locally instead of “on the cloud”, I know this would mean arlo would make no money on subscriptions but it would stop a lot of continuous issues surrounding cvr. Perhaps arlo could sell the storage device that would work with local cvr, I would certainly be very interested in such an idea since I really have the need for cvr.
Any news on adding CVR to the base station SD card?
crzyivn
Onlooker

+1.....+101.....totally agree we need to have CVR on local storage.  I bought the Ultra 2 4k system and I am having so many issues with WiFi range and now not having local CVR is a deal breaker, so I have to return the system.  Really too bad, because I love my basic Pro 2 system.

PiquetPK
Follower

I've given up.  I no longer purchase these for my business.  Over the last three years, I have had traditional security systems installed in several locations to the tune of about $40,000.  Too bad.  Arlo is a good home security system, but I no longer find it acceptable for our company.