Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station battery backup in case power outage

I bought 2 atlo systems ( I have 2 houses) set it up on Friday and left town wed because of hurricane Hermine was coming,  it came, and the power went out for 2 days, when it came back on the camera batteries were dead.  and the system was useless when needed most.  

I understand that with the power out so is the wifi and router as well as the camera system and also understand that a fix has been added to the cameras to help prevent rapid battery drain.

Pehaps a battery backup in the base to eliminate this scenario would be bendfecial.  or a strong suggestion to provide a personal ups for the base and router.  

I like the system very much, but, I was ready to take both units back to the store because they let me down when needed most.  I have one camera back on line and batteries coming for the 2nd camera. and will now keep both and give them a try.

Patring thought,  a current operators manual would be very beneficial, an online pdf version that could be updated as needed by netgear.

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Bretty315
Novice

1080p 2.4/5.8GHz Outdoor Wirefree Camera System

Like the Arlo Pro but better and maybe integrate an extra battery in the base so it will last twice as long.

RPXZ
Novice

Conceal your broadband cable. Most are under ground, if yours is overhead and you are taking wireless secuirty seriously consider paying for it to be ran underground (it'll cost a couple grand if you are approved AND why would have you bought arlo's in the first place if you wanted a real camera system). 

Furthmore, get a UPS for the base station and your power problems will be solved. Routers that switch to 4G during an outage are super unreliable to be 100 percent honest and honestly who the heck wants to pay for that service?  

JustLearning
Apprentice

Does Netgear have a suitable UPS (solar or battery) for use with the Arlo wire free base station/Q/Plus or are they planning to sell any?  The UPS devices I have looked at are not ideal.  

JamesC
Community Manager

JustLearning,

NETGEAR does not produce a UPS for the Arlo Base Station or any other Arlo devices. The Arlo Solar Panel is now available for use with Arlo Pro and Arlo Go cameras.

JamesC

Justink050
Follower
I think they should make the arlo base station with a Rechargeable battery backup because what good is the camera if you lose power to the base station with have the battery backup it will keep it running
StephenB
Guru

You should probably post this in the idea exchange.

Though if the router (and modem or ONT) shut down when the power is lost, you'd still be unable to receive notifications until the power comes back up.  You'd also need USB storage in the base, as it would need to save recordings locally until the internet connection comes back up.