Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Base Station integration with Arlo Pro Base Station

Premise

1 -   Camera's need to connect directy to base stations (not via WiFi so access points and extenders are useless).

2 - Location setup can include multiple base stations BUT camera  only communicates with the base station it is connected to.

3 - Arlo Pro base station allows for new features including recording to USB drive BUT only cameras connected to Pro base station can use this option.

Suggestion-build a bridge to allow base stations to communiucate with each other AND allow Pro base stationm (via connected USB drive)  to store video  of ANY camera connected to ANY base station   (Original,  Pro and possibly  future products).

Benefits:

1 - offers customers a use for older equipment  which  helps strengthen wireless conncetivity (extendability / reach) of cameras  which have inherent benefits (better battery life  , etc. akin to adding access points in WiFI setup).

2 - Adds value to existing customers    and gives credible reason to  purchase addional (and upgraded)  Pro base station   instead of negative comments I've read about  feeling "ripped off " by planned obsolensence.

Comments
HTSInc
Star

Premise

1 -   Camera's need to connect directly to base stations (not via WiFi so access points and extenders are useless).

2 - Location setup can include multiple base stations BUT camera only communicates with the base station it is connected to.

3 - Arlo Pro base station allows for new features including recording to USB drive BUT only cameras connected to Pro base station can use this option.

Suggestion-build a bridge to allow base stations to communicate with each other AND allow Pro base station (via connected USB drive) to store video  of ANY camera connected to ANY base station  (Original,  Pro and possibly  future products).

Benefits:

1 - offers customers a use for older equipment which helps strengthen wireless connectivity (extendibility / reach) of cameras which have inherent benefits (better battery life  , etc. akin to adding access points in WiFI setup).

2 - Adds value to existing customers   and gives credible reason to purchase additional (and upgraded)  Pro base station  instead of negative comments I've read about  feeling "ripped off " by planned obsolescence.

bhinegardn
Guide

There needs to be a simple wireless bridge for the Arlo camera system short of having to upgrade to the premium plan and adding more base stations. I have a modest system with 5 camera, but a two story house, that no amount of relocating of the base station resolves the poor signal to one or more cameras. A simple bridge like Sonos makes for their wireless home music system would be a perfect fit. I see that a bridge is made for the Arlo Security light system, so not sure why one is not available for the camera system. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Chevyboy67
Tutor

Use a netgear wireless amp. It’s luke 20 bucks. Sits in your recepticle with 2 antennae   I have 12 cameras on my property in pa watching my cabin and I’m on 20 acres I have cameras in trees as trail cams and are at least 150 plus yards away. And have no issues. And am running my camera system solely on a Verizon jet pack because I have no internet service but have great Verizon signal 

Harleydavidson4
Initiate

Where’re can I purchase the net gear wireless amp you described?

Harleydavidson4
Initiate

You said it sits in your receptical ? What do you mean by that? 

bhinegardn
Guide

Using cameras outdoor, line of site, is entirely different than using them in buildings where just a few feet make a difference. You cannot as far as i can tell connect a Arlo camera to a network extneder directly. You can connect it only to a base. I have been able to add additioanl base units that are connected to wireless network extended to give me additional range without a problem.