Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Allow two users to have main/admin control of system

My exact model (VMB4000) was not available in the dropdown box. However, this is in regard to the admin rights for a system so I  believe would apply to all base stations.  

There are situations where multiple people need to manage a system of cameras. As all the wire free systems have batteries, they all need to have the cameras pulled down, batteries replaced or charged, then put back into place and repositioned. The Arlo Chat support person told me that only the main/admin account can have this type of access. I believe she was trying to describe the person that registered the system with Arlo. It was implied that two people would have to share a user ID and password for that system of cameras in order to achieve what I have described above. Sharing IDs and passwords has always been discouraged and considered a bad practice in the IT security community. The Arlo App (and any underlying infrastructure) needs to allow the “owner” of the system to allow th same access as they have, when it is deemed appropriate. As I don’t have the time to research every setting that is not accessible to a friend that has been granted Administrative Rights, I have just listed the position mode above, but I’m sure there are others. Maybe it is a second soft switch in the app that lets you designate another person with “Main” or “Owner”  rights.

BTW - The term Main actually came from the Arlo Chat technician, not me. As noted above, I believe it was how she was describing the person who owned/registered the system with Arlo.

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for posting your idea. The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation.

Nawighator
Novice

nearly 3 years later and this functionality have not been added yet...? are you actually considering this idea to be added to the system or you leave users on their own so the other members of the system need to use the "main" account details to perform any changes (like zones/virtual tripwires or times when the devices should be armed)...?

ScoMac
Novice

I’m wondering the same thing as Nawighator. Besides the security issues mentioned in the original suggestion, it would be so helpful to your consumers! It is so inconvenient with only one Admin and it is obvious the Arlo developers don’t understand this!