Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Allow cameras/Base Station to connect to mesh network.

I understand that currently the only way to extend range for connecting multiple Arlo Pro cameras, apart from better placement of the Base Station, is to use multiple Base Stations, which then have separate configurations, separate arming, and separate rule sets.

Netgear must surely have mesh network technology, so why not apply that to Base Stations, so multiple Base Stations (or some new Base Station Extender) can act together as a single network, providing excellent camera connectivy over a wide area?

By reapplying technology you already have, you would be making customers happy (a number of people have commented about non-optimal extension options), while selling more product and encouraging larger installations.  I would buy one, so there's one sale :-).

Comments
joakey
Fledgling

A long running thread that I'm frankly surprised doesn't have more comment and up votes.  Being newer to Arlo, I'm frankly surprised that the ways that are often suggested to get better coverage are simply to move the base station.  In a small footprint setup, that makes sense but many of us have much larger installations so moving the base or buying more bases isn't a viable solution.  I have a 6 AP mesh network with better coverage than some small countries likely and the idea of building another parallel wifi network to only serve the Arlo cameras doesn't interest me at all.  For example, I have one AP that is connected over fiber down to a dock area.  I'm pretty sure that is more complicated than some of the overly simple "move the base"  or use a powerline extender comments I see through-out the community.  I want an Ultra camera down at the dock and have great wifi coverage down there already.  Where is the official commentary from Arlo on how to extend coverage over-the-top of an existing wifi network?  I get the support complications this can create but wifi is very standardized so an advanced process to join a new arlo device at the base and then find it over the existing wifi network (via the base's ethernet) after it moves to it's permanent place, just doesn't seem that technically difficult.  Any official comments on this kind of idea?  An advanced user just isn't likely to buy a bunch of Netgear devices to duplicate the network footprint.  If this is something that is just against the Arlos business plan and never going to be considered, it would be nice to get that feedback earlier rather than waiting beyond the 3 years since this idea was first created

johnnabholz
Follower

My VMB5000 Base Station is in the middle of all my cameras and several show poor connectivity.

I have a mesh network with GREAT connectivity everywhere but my Arlo Ultra uses it’s own private network instead of my Mesh network (which I set up to allow better coverage).

Please allow an option to have cameras connect to the base via a homes WiFi network.

Should I buy multiple base stations and put one at each of my house and shop to get better coverage?  I bought Arlo Pro years ago and I thought you were not supposed to do this.  

Please pass on my request and advise if I just need to buy more base stations.

Thanks 

Sevakesmailian
Apprentice
I don’t see arlo doing this or even giving us the option to do so. They cant even release a normal firmware out to fix the arlo ultra issues. I honestly wish our own wifi was a option, I use orbi AX and Netgear owns both companies but they still choose not to use orbi as the main hub for wifi... smh I think Arlo needs to lose a lot of customers then they will change.
Beepbeep
Follower

+1 on being able to add arlo to an existing network. The hub has lousy connectivity compared to our standard internet setup. I really hope Netgear gets on to it as this really should be in their wheelhouse.

Zabo
Aspirant

Hopefully I'm just piling on here with many other similar requests so Arlo will add this functionality soon...

You're now releasing cameras which connect direct to WiFi without needing a base station. If the Ultra or Pro 3 supported this I'd buy 5 of them today. My house typography is such that I would need a base station for each camera, yet I have a perfectly reliable mesh network already in place which would support all cameras.

I'd be happy to buy one base station if I could plug it into my switch and it added value (perhaps storage, USB port, or a cell link, phone jack, whatever), but at this point I'm looking at other vendors. Given that the cameras already communicate to the base station over WiFi bandwidth, it seems like this could be a software update instead of requiring new hardware designs...

Please let me know if this is in your roadmap. Thanks.

BLUESPICE
Novice

My friend uses Arlo at the Apartment complex he manages and we both use them at our homes, we both have MESH systems for superior WiFi coverage, signal and system control.

I have avoided Arlo models which require the use of a Hub because the MESH system is superior and I do not want a bunch of extra components (Hubs) scattered around the house.

I think it would be a great idea and an attractive feature if in future products, Arlo might consider engineering in "MESH" for the Cameras and Hubs.