Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Alerting Mechanism for Base Station / Camera Offline

Our installation will be very remote beach house. There is a need for mains failure detection in case intruder has deliberately switched of the power. This would be a nice sofware update feature.

Comments
tshennick
Novice

If you use this system for monitoring a remote property like a lake house there is no way to know without logging into the App or website if the connection is lost.   

I see two issues.

1. Arlo knows you have lost a connection but you don't and will not know.  So if the bad guys know you have arlo and that the power is out, or they turned off your internet then, said bad guy just walks right in undetected.

2. Wireless Cameras will ping the basestation until the battery is dead.   So not only are you not connected now you have to drive to your lake house to change the battery.   Need to make it so if ping is unsuccesfull the ping is intermittent not continual until the cameras are dead.  The ping drains the battery way faster than recording video.

agmed74
Aspirant

It would be very nice if I could change the alert tone for motion detection on my iphone. Give the phone app the option to change the alert notification basically. My wife wants a louder alarm tone for if motion is detected when she is home sleeping. 

carrotmonkey
Follower

I had a similar idea but got in in a different forum:

I was wondering if Arlo could, proactively inform me that the system is down.

Lets just say my Arlo router pings Arlo HQ every 60min and if two/three pings in a row are missed, I get an email from Arlo HQ saying "hey whats going on dude, seems like your router is not connected to the internet anymore!".

So in that scenario I know that my Arlo router with whatever setup I have going is not connected to the internet.

The way the system is set up now, if my cameras are set on schedule then it might be weeks until I find out that they are not working. Unless I log in myself every now and then on my account.

Obviously it would be nice to have the option to customise this function (number of consequtive unsuccesfull pings and frequency) and of course disable it in case I know there is no internet (house move, cable company is doing some works in the area etc etc.)

Let me know your thoughts on the above!

c

this_is_tiresom
Follower

The Arlo system should give a warning text and email when it loses it connection to the base station or a camera goes offline.

There have been suggestions for this for a year ... and Netgear instead makes a more expensive camera instead of supporting current customers.

Because all corporations suck.

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: New Ideas

EricTheRed2
Novice
Need this feature before I'll buy, if someone kills power and UPS dies or someone kills internet. I want a notification. . Otherwise, i must waste a camera pointing at the power /cable?
Superman2000
Apprentice

10 months later...not looking very encouragingSmiley Frustrated

medinarrior
Guide

Samsumg Smartthings does this feature!!! :@

rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

+1!!!

Cip726
Follower
Loss of power is a big concern and a loss of connectivity email would be great. I purchased a back up battery that I have my internet router, and base station connected to, so when I lose power my system still works on the back up battery. Just in case thieves think they are smart and cut power, my system is still armed.