Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Alerting Mechanism for Base Station / Camera Offline

Our installation will be very remote beach house. There is a need for mains failure detection in case intruder has deliberately switched of the power. This would be a nice sofware update feature.

Comments
MarkC
Luminary

@valerama

Give the Blink XT cameras a go. If you have Amazon Prime then you can easily return them if you are not happy right.

When Arlo started out several years back there was not much else out there to compete with but then have seriously lost the plot and their Business Model is completely flawed. The cameras lack the basic features (like this), features essential to a security system IMHO. All they want to do is sell you supposedly better cameras every 6 months or so, cameras that YOU end up Beta Testing for them, cameras that are full of issues. Worst of all they NEVER EVER actually listen to what the users want or request.

Each system has its issues of course but hand on heart I have not had a single problem with my Blink XT cameras, well apart from one being too far away from the tiny hub but that was my fault.

For the price, no subscription charges, the fact they actually perform as expected, no dropouts, batteries (cheap AA x2) last for a year. Compared to the Arlo where I have to change/charge batteries every month, the cameras stop responding, they miss events, the rechargeable block batteries barely charge in the external charger, the pretty high subscription fees considering the issues encountered, I mean the list is just endless.

Anyway, apologies to ramble on! I am seriously done with Arlo now.

Time for the rest of you to abandon ship if you are seroius about the security of your home or work place.

This will be my last/final post... I no longer use the cameras, I am totally  fed up with the issues, the way they do NOT listen to their Customer Base, the utter contempt they hold us in IMHO not to mention that it stresses me out getting emails from this forum about the issues and especially this thread after so long, begging them to implement this ESSENTIAL feature etc..... I am turning off notifications etc. so if anyone may disagree with me here, please do not bother to argue as I will not be coming back to see any replies.

Adios amigos!

Best of luck to all! Smiley Very Happy

valerama
Aspirant

I've already ordered them. 😄 I can probably get the money to pay for them selling my Arlo system on craigslist, too. 😄

Hello Community

Is it possible to set up notifications if the base station and cameras goes off line?

Two days ago, the base station lost power due to the plug being unplugged accidently. I wasn't aware that all the cameras were off line due to this. If there is a way of being notified of the cameras going off line, I could prevent the cameras remaining off line for extended periods.

Arlo Pro 2 user

Locutus73
Apprentice

Offline camera (or whole system) notification, along with the possibility to set off the siren and, possibly, an HomeKit "sensor" is a necessary anti tamper mechanism for a security system. It's not about just mains failure (we can easily monitor an UPS status), it's about Wi-Fi jamming, de-auth attacks and, generally speaking, internet denial attacks.

A security system has to be resilient to those attacks.

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

bpchristensen
Follower

How do I up-vote this idea?   Given how fragile these base stations seem to be and how tenuous their hold to the network, it seems that an alert about them going off line would be a no-brainer. The fact that you can't receive an alert WHEVER the base station goes off line (FOR ANY REASON) seems inexcusable.

The last four times I left for a weekend away,  I had one of my two hubs go offline without letting me know, which disabled half of my cameras.    For a system costing several thousand dollars this is unacceptable.

StephenB
Guru

>>> How do I up-vote this idea?  

Click on the heart icon next to the initial post.

MadaraCN
Novice

Based on experience, a certain person broke into my house. He noticed that I have Arlo Cameras, he turned off my router and stole every gadget I have.

So I think, Arlo can create a new feature on the app, that it will notify us that our internet connection on our base stations are off. Probably a push notifications or a text message perhaps. So that we are aware that something happened on our homes when we are not around.

Also, If Arlo can design a NEW camera model. That can able  to record videos, detect motion, even if internet was cut off and the camera has a internal backup to save its recordings and once internet is back. It will upload it directly to the cloud.

I hope Arlo can create this feature or a new camera based on what I had experienced.

relhigh
Novice

The cameras are constantly going offline.  There needs to be a notification of some sort sent when a camera goes offline so at the very least one can reset the base station if able to, particularly if they are not at the location of the cameras.  The lack of this feature is simply negligent.

How the heck am I supposed to know the system is down if you don't tell me.

Went to check videos for the weekend and see that all devices have been offline for 3 days.

Product suggestion...make it work better and let me know when to fix it.

I get 43 alerts if an F%^*& cat walks by, but none if my system is down.  Come on, think of the system like a customer and not a sales person.

AxJu
Follower

I´m using an Arlo Pro 2 to monitor a server room. This is a serious use case and I need a reliable and secure product.

Becaue it is quite easy to sabotage a WIFI camara by a jammer (availiable at ebay for just 20,- EURO), I need a push notification if the camera is out of service either by sabotage or simply by a technical issue.

This type of push notification  seems not to be implemented jet.

This is strage, because this is a basic functionality of any serious security installation and implementation shoud be very easy. Arlo is monitoring all the datastrem of my cameras to trigger motion events at theire servers and the functionality of sending push notifications is in place as well. I cannot understand, why there is no option to trigger an event when a datastream is broken.

Could you please support my issue to force Arlo implementing this functionality?

Axel