Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Alerting Mechanism for Base Station / Camera Offline

Our installation will be very remote beach house. There is a need for mains failure detection in case intruder has deliberately switched of the power. This would be a nice sofware update feature.

Comments
Romes
Fledgling

I've given up on the Arlo brand and Netgear for time being.  Having purchased their most expensive Pro2 package with multiple cameras and a basetation I am very dissapointed that this product cannot even send me notification for disconnection of any of the cameras due to internet/wifi/power issues.  It'll simply stop recording anything if power goes out.

Currently I have it setup on UPS units (purchased cheap ones 650va) - modem/router and Arlo basetation are all connected.  I pulled the power to let it run on the backup battery - went for 3 days straight.  Not bad and more than I need.  We never get power outage for that long anyway. 

I have started to accept the fact that Netgear does not care for customer input on a critical feature as they sold too much of their units through Bestbuy anyway.

If they add this highly requested feature to provide notifications - I don't even mind paying $5/mth for the alert service.  Although, I don't think they need to collect service fees to provide basic alerts - just saying people might be interested in opting in, if cost is what is holding them back.

Superwa2
Tutor

Hello, I just received an email telling me that my Arlo Go camera just reconnected after 43,000 seconds. It will take some math to figure out when it was disconnected. Any way to set up an alert also when the camera is disconnected? If something happens to one of my cameras and it goes offline for days I will only know it went offline when I get an email days later telling me that it happend thousands of seconds earlier. Thanks for the help. 

amcgrath
Fledgling

Crazy this doesnt' exist. Litterally just had hundreds of dollars of tools stolen, and when i went to check my cameras it turns out the basestation was offline - which explains why there was no motion notification. The Arlo system i paid hundreds of dollars to protect my things has failed because i simply wasn't told it stopped working.

Step 1) Figure out why it stopped working, i'm on that now.

Step 2) Get angry at Arlo until this feature is added!!!!!!

bobbybrown79997
Onlooker

Sorry to hear that. I'm also worried about that happening to me so I set up SmartThings motion sensors as a backup. I've already spent the money and can't return it because it's been too long so I'm stuck with arlo for now

Moodynic
Onlooker

The whole crux of this seems to be that Arlo or Netgear just don't respond to feedback about their products. You'd think it would be vital for them to continue to improve the user's experience with their product but they don't seem to improve or monitor their products at all. Just concentrate on releasing new products rather than support the customers who have already sunk hundreds if not thousnd of pounds/dollars 

Adksi11892
Apprentice

Absolutely, it’s very nice to discount animals triggering and other such feature but completely pointless if the base station has decided to go offline even though it is still connected to the internet and power but just sitting dumb.  I have so little confidence that I have Wi-fi sockets on both my base stations so that I can remote reboot them but only when I have gone into the app and noticed they are offline, happened again yesterday.

It’s pretty fundamental for a security device to keep itself online.

lacf
Novice

Please consider adding a feature that allows app to notify user when base loses power.

LordRegis
Initiate

Seems like there was an update last night. It disconnected my chimes from my doorbell, meaning I've been missing deliveries. Very frustrating as one was paid to arrive before the weekend and the next working day is Tuesday given the easter holiday. There were no notificatons to say the chimes were not connected to the doorbell. 

There should be a notification when Chimes are not connected (disconnected) from the doorbell.

CO303
Novice

Please ask your team to add notifications for when a device goes offline. Every other smart home device lets you know when it goes offline. I have had a camera that goes offline almost every day and needed to be power cycled. I would miss days of recordings because I had no idea it had gone down. 

Jonathan3117
Novice

Hello,

I would like to request that you add the featuring option that when the Base Station losses communion that Arlo sends a notification to the emails linked to the account that a communication loss has occurred, and then restoration. With the option to select which emails are notified.