Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Alerting Mechanism for Base Station / Camera Offline

Our installation will be very remote beach house. There is a need for mains failure detection in case intruder has deliberately switched of the power. This would be a nice sofware update feature.

Comments
TheWolk
Apprentice

Hi, I'm a new user of Arlo Pro 2 System and it has been running great for me for about two weeks now up till this morning. Apparently, my internet connection went down at some point during the night. It was later restored after few hours but I found it strange that no alert notification for this critical even was sent by Arlo's cloud service to my mobile phone. So, I ran a simple experiment:

1. Logged into my arlo.netgear.com account and confirmed that Base Station and all cameras are online

2. Disconnected network cable from Base Station.

Almost immediately status of my devices changed to Unavailable. This means that (as expected) Arlo’s Cloud Service is well aware of the status of devices (or, at least of the status of Base Station) linked to my subscription account. Having worked in IT Industry for many years, I understand how simple it would be to tight "Connected" and "Disconnected" events to new notification alerts should there be a desire to do so. With that being said, I suspect that rlorenzo Fledgling may be right about the real reason for this feature not getting implemented after at least two years user have been asking for it. Netgear is concerned about increase of the service calls volume once this option is implemented. I really hope I’m wrong here. Would anyone from Netgear care to comment?

mrbebop
Fledgling

I've been having issues with cameras and base station going offline. That would be less troubling if the system informed we when it happened, instead of letting me discover it hours or days later.

Is there a way to recieve notifications when a device goes offline?

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration

TheWolk
Apprentice

Thank you very much for taking to concideration implementing this feature! It will be really great to know that there is a problem with Arlo Security System without having to constantly check manualy if it is still online.

Bechter
Novice
I am very disappointed that the Arlo system has a HUGE flaw in the system by not making notification that the system loses online service or a camera gets shut off. This is a necessity and a security breaching issue and I am strongly demanding this is included in an update ASAP. I have tested the theory myself and found that it's very simple to just unplug the internet access wire from the base station and during the period its unplugged there is no video being recorded and no notification made to the home owner and meanwhile there could be a burglar in the house or one of the kids could easily be doing something they shouldn't be while its unplugged. Afterwards they could plug it back in and like nothing happened. This is not cool at all.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

willdonovan
Novice

Hey team. Suggestion for the mobile app.

If the power goes off on site, can you send a notification via the mobile app the power is lost to the devises at home?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Zacnpepsi
Onlooker

A complete settings log/history alongside this would be appreciated