Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Advertisements In App Is A Bad Idea!

Today, I received an alert on my phone that a person was detected. I immediately opened the app and was presented an Arlo security light advertisement that blocked my view of the camera. I consider Arlo a part of my home security defense. Anything that interrupts real time access to my cameras decreases the value of Arlo as a security system. Full page ads are in appropriate in this app. Please tell the marketing team to come up with a different idea. I have a suggestion...a banner ad would be annoying, but at least it would not block my access to my camera's video feed.

Comments
madkiwi
Luminary

I know the danger is that when Netgear/Arlo decides to stop supporting the basic Arlo they could just firmware brick the cameras and say "Ooops. Sorry!".

But this full screen ad for the Arlo security floodlights? When I am opening the app because I received a notification and I want to see what the heck is going on RIGHT NOW?

Calling this a security product is an insult to security and peace of mind.

Does anyone know if disabling the full page ad display is an option?

Dp123321
Novice
I completely agree. The Arlo system is not cheap. There are many other competitors that offer paid subscription services with cheaper hardware. I paid more for Arlo so I wouldn't have to deal with a monthly fee but now everytime I log into my camera I'm getting some full screen pop-up about some paid service they are selling. Once they try to transition to a paid service like they seem to be in the phase of doing now are you going to be refunding previous customers who you sold equipment to under the "no subscription" promise?
mamarcac
Apprentice

So Arlo decided to devote some of their resources to making splash screen Ad for their security lights when we launch the app instead of fixing the numerous bugs discussed in these forums.

It's like they're trying to tick us off at this point.

AussieP1E
Initiate

This is the stupidest idea they could have done.

I don't want to see a FULL SCREEN ad in front of my security cameras! I don't want to see an ad at all. this stupid thing

Vortigann
Initiate
I agree - first Netgear messes around with Orbi and bricks my devices, now they block me from Arlo with intrusive ads..

I replaced Orbi wit eero (best choice I've ever made, they are customer focused) and now it looks like its time to replace Arlo. Any recommendations?
Ewalters
Novice
Exactly. Get rid of the ads or you'll be getting rid of me as a customer. How annoying to spend hundreds of dollars and then see ads on the app!
Ebnk15
Initiate
Tonight, I heard gun shots in my neighborhood. Ordinarily, I would have recharged batteries iny cameras, but discovered after an automatic update several months ago, that the advertised time period for changing out the batteries was severely shortened (from about 3 months with default settings, down to about 3 weeks with sensitivities lowered significantly!). After hearing the gun shots, I quickly replaced the batteries in 2 of my most critical cameras (the 3rd camera is almost redundant, as it watches a door which would require a car to drive through it to gain entry). After the updates, every time I needed to check the live feed, I would get an offer notice for some new service. Now, I paid about $1,000 for this package (basic service), and when I need it most, I shouldn't have to have a pop up block my display, then as if it couldn't get any worse, I pressed the "X" to close the pop up, and it wouldn't close. This happened EACH time I closed the program, and opened it back up, so I know it's NOT my phone, me or some other stupid excuse. It was as if it was on a forced timer, which gave enough time. to be viewed. Fortunately, the police drove by, and calm was restored in the neighborhood. However, I find it disgusting that company would allow it's ability to try and monetize a system, which already cost $1,000 to prevent a user from using features designed to protect life and limb!! Has anyone else suffered from this travesty???
chillpenguin
Initiate
I occasionally get an advertisement to upgrade to various services or devices when I check in on a security alert.

Please stop doing that. If I am checking in on a potential issue, I don't want to have to click through a pop up. If you have to occasionally show an ad, put it somewhere else. Or perhaps only when I open the app directly. But not via a notification. It is absolutely obnoxious.
ant
Mentor
Mentor

@chillpenguin wrote:
I occasionally get an advertisement to upgrade to various services or devices when I check in on a security alert.

Please stop doing that. If I am checking in on a potential issue, I don't want to have to click through a pop up. If you have to occasionally show an ad, put it somewhere else. Or perhaps only when I open the app directly. But not via a notification. It is absolutely obnoxious.

Ditto. Annoying. Same with their e-mail spams.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Ditto. Annoying. Same with their e-mail spams.