Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Access USB storage on the base station via local network, e.g. NFS, FTP, SFTP, SSH, SMB

As per "How do I view videos saved on a local storage USB device?", we're advised to remove the USB drive and insert it to the computer.

> Insert the USB device into a USB port on your computer.

Please implement a way to access the USB drive via local network. For example, expose it via NFS, FTP, SFTP, SSH, SMB or whatever. As soon as we get at least one way of accessing the videos over the local network, no other way is really needed.

Comments
jak0lantash
Mentor

And/or access from the mobile app.

NowakerTmp
Star

Mobile app is not enough, a programmatic/scriptable way of accessing the storage is needed.

GabyWeeb
Fledgling

an alternative would be to save the files on a NAS.

Olycius
Follower

While having the cloud to store all my cameras footage is great, the idea of being heavily reliant on an internet connection is a big pain point.Trying to get away from relying completely on the cloud, I upgraded from a normal arlo base station to the pro base station. One of the major reasons being the ability to record locally.

That being said, when internet connection is down the arlo will still record locally, but in the event of something happening outside that I am unable to view live even though the cameras are up.

This was a case for me after a power outage occured for the entire night. I have my network on a UPS which includes my Arlo pro hub. The only issue was that my ISP was down as well so I was left with my local network. After about 4 hours into the night there was people walking around my neighborhood, soon after someone was walking on the side of my house. I was in another room at the time and could not see them from where I was at. I then tried logging into arlo to see where they were, but was unable to due to no internet. This really made me take a step back and made me think of keeping this product would be a best fit for me. The ability to view live footage on a traditional DVR is standard, and the hardware specs in the base station should be enough to support it.

An Idea I would like to suggest it supporting local login, possibly by adding an offline mode that has limited but functional commands. Such as viewing one cameras feed at a time. When you setup the base station if could generate an authentication key to recognize the device you logged in from, allowing access to what would be an offline mode. In the event someone is removed or added from viewing capabilities, when the arlo reconnects to the internet it could sync those users.

Nsiddons
Apprentice
There was a bad storm in my area last week and my Arlo was down for most of the week, not cause of my home but because of my Outside ISP box. Offline functionality would take this product to the next level. I have my network on a ups as well so not being able to get into my arlo was frustrating.
DoriJC
Luminary

I would like to be able to access the USB drive from my network and not have to pull it out of the base station.

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

_nd345
Initiate

+1 this should be a basic feature that most all other products already have.

_nd345
Initiate

+1 all-the-things local-net should be the priority, and cloud should be beffered/secondary.

Miza2005
Novice

I also am completely supported by UPS and would like to have the option to login to the base station for viewing with a local IP address or application for offline viewing. I am also backing up to local storage. I agree, it would take this product to the next level.