Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Top Contributors

Wireless Channel config manual override

Please, could you add an "Advanced settings" link somewhere under Settings,

by which we can set the wireless channel of the base station, and perhaps even more details regarding its WiFi behavior?

I have serious issues with the extremely busy 2.4 GHz band in my neighborhood (city). The only way *all* my arlo cameras will reach the base well is when I have it at channel 13 and it stays there. But it never seems to do so.

Yes, I take full responsibility for the distortion or interference that could cause, because I know to set my routers at channel 9 or lower (with the Base at 13).

64 Comments
Apprentice
Arlo team,

Give us the ability to select our own wireless channel we want the Arlo system to run on. You could set Auto as default, but give us the flexibility to change it just like we have on a router or access point.
Novice

Yes, this is definately needed to have dedicated Wifi channels for Arlo and other devices used in home to balance the load.

Apprentice

Yes please.

This has been a longstanding issue in the Troubleshooting forum.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Is-it-possible-to-change-the-wifi-channel/td-...

Onlooker
Prod Man - I've just added Arlo to a perfectly functioning network. I have home automation, wifi connected Apple TVs, etc... The Arlo approach to wifi channel auto assignment is absurd. When it's on, it interferes with my system. When I unplug it, everything is fine. If I could select my own channel, I could manage and eliminate the conflict.

This may need to be put in an advanced setting section, but it is one very basic function.

It's starting to feel like someone has "too much invested" in the auto function. We aren't saying eliminate it. We are saying, give us the freedom to manage our RF networks.

Right now my solution would have to be to send this back.
Apprentice

I wonder if the the new Arlo Pro base station will get this option. Surely a "pro user" would want the ability configure this? 

Aspirant

Unfortunately, the answer is no. The Arlo Pro base station doesn't appear to have the ability to change the Wifi Channel. It's following my Eero's channel and I'm getting very limited distance from the base before my cameras drop off.

Also, the Arlo Pro base station seems to only be broadcasting 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4Ghz. I'm OK with not using 5.2Ghz because it doesn’t' travel well through walls but why not spring for a 802.11ac chipset? Would it have cost $1.32 more in manufacturing? 

Novice

I cannot for the life of me fathom why this is even a question.  It MUST be configurable.  Additionally, I don't want to broadcast an SSID!  I have a wee hunting cabin I use this for, I bloody well don't want anyone freaking seeking it out because they ran across an SSID while poaching on my land!

Tutor

I have my router, Arlo base station, Hue base station, SmartThings hub in close proximity, all using WiFi. I second the need to be able to control the channel on the Arlo!

Aspirant

I don't know why I am even bothering since it seems like no one is listening but I too need to be able to change the channel. I can't control the neighbors APs that all seem to default to channel 6.  I have clear channels on either side of that but this arlo base station wont use them.  I have managed to keep one camera connected for 12 hours now but the other one which is only 25 feet away wont stay connected. Once these things lose connectivity you have to take the battery out and reset them before they will connect again.  I am very close to just returning the whole thing.

Novice

I agree with this request. Everytime my WiFi performance goes to hell, I can fix it by moving the router channel so that it is different than Arlo. Unfortunately I think one of the last Arlo updates has made the problem worse because now the Arlo seems to follow the router channel within about 24 hours. I am a big fan of the Arlo product and have had multiple cameras installed for sometime,  but I am ready to pull it out because the WiFi performance is now getting so impacted and I cannot keep the devices separated on different channels.