Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

UI design needs attention

I just picked up a two-camera Arlo kit this last week and have been working on getting it installed and optimized. A couple of things perpelexed me in the UI of the app.

First, motion sensitivity.

Wow. This should be dead easy, but it had me totally confused. Why? Because the icons at either end of the slider are exactly opposite of what the motion sensitivity slider actually does!

File 2016-11-28, 11 48 30.png

On the left, we have sensitivity at zero. This would, I assume, mean that no matter how much motion is being detected, video will not be recorded. On the right, we have sensitivity at 100%, which I would assume would trigger recording with the slightest amount of motion.

And yet, the icons show someone sitting still with sensitivity at zero, and running through the frame at 100%. If sensitivity is set lower, more motion is required to trigger a recording. With sensitivity set higher, less motion is required to trigger a recording. The icons are totally wrong for illustrating how the sensitivity control works, and it's totally misleading. On the left, I would put a pictogram of a person doing jumping jacks, with arms and legs waving. On the right, just slight motion indicated. And perhaps add text as well, indicating that less sensitivity = more motion required to trigger recording, and vice-versa.

Second, modes and rules could be greatly simplified.

There seems to be a lot of redundancy in the app, with the same settings available in multiple places. This is confusing, and should be consolidated into a more streamlined interface. The options are a little confusing, as well. Is there any situation where I would want to record video on Camera 2 if motion is detected on Camera 1? If the idea is to enable recordings on ALL cameras if any one of them detects motion, this could be much better implemented on a single screen, so all the rules for a particluar mode are visible at once.

Third, motion "detection zones" would be a great addition.

I know that motion is detected by the PIR "eye", but it seems to me that adding in user-defined "detection zones" to determine whether recording and/or alerts are executed would be a smart way to conserve battery and/or bandwidth. I've used the app manything in the past, and it used zone-based motion detection (along with a sensitivity threshold) to enable recording in particular areas. This greatly reduced the number of "false positives" reported by the app.

And finally, user-defined alert sounds.

This is something that every app with push notifications needs to allow the user to do: select their own notification sound, either from the built-in audio library, or a custom sound. I get alerts on my phone all day long, from numerous apps. It's a HUGE source of frustration to not be able to identify the source of the alert from the sound alone. Some apps have their own sounds, many use the generic alert sound. I would like to know, without pulling my phone out of my pocket, that Arlo has detected motion, and ideally, on which camera. At the very least, give Arlo its own unique audio signature, so we can identify it easily and distinguish it from the dozens of other generic notifications we get.

Comments
CaptainMel
Novice

"The options are a little confusing, as well. Is there any situation where I would want to record video on Camera 2 if motion is detected on Camera 1? If the idea is to enable recordings on ALL cameras if any one of them detects motion, this could be much better implemented on a single screen, so all the rules for a particluar mode are visible at once."

Please do not speak for all of us!  The idea was NOT to enable recordings on ALL cameras.  We have four outdoor cameras, and two of these are surrounded by trees and bushes which make motion sensing impossible.  We use the nearest of the other two cameras on the "path" around the property to trigger the problem cameras to record.  We would not want to trigger all of the cameras as a group, as they are two distinct areas coverd by the two groups.  Why waste battery and bandwidth recording areas that have no possibility of detecting anything?

This feature also allows us to have the cameras activated and recording as the person/animal leaves the initial area and enters the field of view of the next camera -- solving the crazy delay factor on the Arlo cameras.  (On a typical motion trigger, the person is halfway across the view area before recording starts -- this is one of the biggest faults with this system that we have seen).  

Do not suggest taking away the ability to trigger recording on a single camera (or groups of cameras) by the motion detection of another device.  It is ALWAYS better to have more functionality than what you think you might need.  As you get familiar with the system, you might just think out of the box and come up with something to do with this feature yourself.

darren_
Initiate
I wasn't suggesting that they take away any functionality. This post is about the user experience, and how a new user (myself) finds some of the features and how they are laid out in the interface to be a little confusing when there's no documentation within the app.

How can you allow your Motion Detection UI be this bad for so long! It's clear MANY others feel this way. Standing man. Running man. Which way? Not intuitive. Fix it.