Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Transfer camera from one base station to another, or have addl base stations work like Access Points

There should be a way to transfer a camera from one base station to another within the same account without having to delete it and re-sync it to the other base station.  I have several cameras (14 of them) permanatly mounted on the outside of my house and I shouldn't have to get on a ladder 15 feet in the air and click a sync button on the actual camera to resync them to the other base station.  Also, it loses their name and configuration, and by "transferring" it could potentially keep this info.

OR an even better idea would be to have multiple base stations work as one where there is a "master" and the others all work as extenders (communicating over their ethernet links or on their builtin Arlo proprietary WiFi).  The camera would auto-connect to the one with the highest signal strength, just like actual WiFi Access Point networks do.  Example: When you are connected to a network via WiFi, your device (such as your phone) will always communicate with the AP that has the highest signal strength and will even automatically switch between APs on the same network (broadcasting the same SSID and same credentials) as the signal strength changes; this is all seamless and the user never notices any type of interruption.  There is no reason that the Arlo base stations can't potentially work together in the same way.

Comments
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

CCrossman
Fledgling

This! Just upgraded my base station. Now I have to get up on my ladder remove the device and rsync it 😞 8 cameras.

camm2017
Tutor

I agree.  There should be a way within your account once you have added the second (or subsequent) base station to easily move a camera from one base station to another.

Any progress on this idea being actioned ?

BasMeuleman
Fledgling

I just added a new basestation on a seperate location (my office) in an existing account. The app transferred al my home camera's (4) to the new basestation (the office one). All of them offline now of course!

Can this be fixed remotely? Or do I need to re-sync the camera's

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

Hi @BasMeuleman

You can try to reboot the base station remotely through the app/web browser, or remove the batteries an re-insert to bring the cameras back online.

Seajayvee2
Fledgling

I also have multiple cameras around the house,,upgraded my base station. How do I transfer them without loosing all the configs already established?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Seajayvee2

You will need to add the cameras to the new base station & set your settings again

PFG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am currently in the process of updating my Arlo system to the Pro 3 with the VMB 4540 base station from Arlo with the VMB 3010 base station.  I wanted to simply transition my existing camera definitions and mode setups to the new device and then add or replace some of the old cameras with new ones.  I was disappointed to learn that I essentially have to redefine cameras and program everything from scratch.  It would be helpful and may encourage more customers to update to newer equipment if it is made easier with some kind of utility or app that would enable this.

RavingTired
Onlooker

This is really what I believe, a network, application problem. Netgear is clearly a networking company. Their inability to create an app, or via their portal to provide a  seamless transfer of  cameras to newer equipment of their design and manufacture  i.e.: VMB4000 to VMB4050, without retrieving each camera and syncing it to the new VMB, is either short sighted or a ploy to main some type propriety protection. Yes we all know that cloud storage is a money making deal. The ones of us who prefer local storage seem to be getting shafted. Once your VMB is setup and connected then, just how hard is it to transfer the MAC address association. If I can wireless connect my phone to almost anything, why is this move a camera such a big deal. I can assure Netgear that their continued lack of lack of enthusiasm for their software will result in losing customers.

JasonFIN
Fledgling

+1 for this idea. Just added 3 cameras and one base station to my system and after fixing the cameras to place I realized that one of the cameras would likely have a way better signal to my other base station.

Back to get the ladders from the back of my garage, and get the camera close to base station for re-pairing...

So inconvenient!