Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Save cellular data usage

Per the original thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Apps/Data-Useage-suggestion/m-p/1060092#U1060092

It seems that the amount of data to open the Arlo program (not even view ANYof the video's) seems to be high.  I ran a test, by isolating the program, and opening it/then closing it.  The data consumption was about 10 mgs, and I assume it is to download the thumbnails for the videos (which there were about 30-40 new thumbnails on the test).

Wouldn't a more "Data Economical" option for the program be  to only initially downloads text stats, no thumbnails, to help those who don't yet have unlimited data plans, and aren't in a wifi environment for many hours/day (i.e. work)?Thanks again for your efforts!

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

Great idea. Thanks for sharing!

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

jgroves
Aspirant

I have arlo setup at two homes.  My vacation home is in an area with no highspeed internet, so I am stuck with using a hotspot.  This past month I went over my data limit because of Arlo uploads to the cloud. 

I would be great if ARLO had a low bandwidth mode, where all events are recorded to the SD card, and notifications sent with a still image or multiple still images of the beginning of motion be sent via email or app or library.

Then, if I am interested in that event, I should be able to retreive the recorded event wirelessly without having to remove the SD card.    This could save huge amounts of data.