Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Require login to view videos

Email notifications from ARLO contain a public URL to the video that was recorded.  When clicked, the video plays without requiring the user to login.  While this may be "convenient" for most users, this is a rather large security/privacy concern.  While it does use a generated string at the end of the URL to make it a little harder to find videos, it would still be trivial for someone to brute force the URL's to find videos that have been recorded.  From a privacy standpoint, I'd like a setting added to require that someone login before being able to view any video that has been recorded from my system.  

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

TerrenceChou,

Shared video links (not the video stored on the cloud) will expire after 24 hours. All library content will remain for at least 7 days (more if you subscribe to a plan) before being automatically deleted.

Library content can only be accessed while logged in to your Arlo account. If you do not wish for shared video links to be produced, you can disable email alerts. For instructions on how to do this, see here: How do I turn on/off email notifications?

JamesC

TrulsZK
Apprentice

Use push notification, they do not contain any link to brute force

mrvini
Fledgling

first of all, love the product, works great. Love notifications (emails and push), don't like sharable aspect of things unless explicitly specified

The whole point of notifications is to notify that something is going on. Push notification works, however one will not have a snapshot of whats happening till they go to app/web and check the library whats beeen recorded. What email allows to do, is to have a quick look at whats going on without opening an app, navigating to the page, etc... time consuming. Base on the snapshot in the email one can decide to either disregard or move forward to the application for further investigation. (Snapshot could be embeded in the email)

Of course I will disable email notifications now, usability will suffer for me.

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: New Ideas

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived - Not Enough Votes

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived - Not Enough Votes

patseelyasi
Onlooker

Has this been resolved yet and/or is it on the list of requests?

Has it been made so that Arlo requires you to login to view the "shared" link? It doesn't seem that complicated and it was just a deal breaker for a friend of mine...

ZenB
Novice

It's been a while since there was any activity on this post but thought I'd ask anyway: has this feature (problem) been addressed yet? I can't see anywhere that this can be configured so if it has been, please can someone advise how I can enable it?

If it hasn't then, as others have said, it would make sense from a security perspective to have the option of requiring a login before URLs of camera footage can be accessed. Whilst they may have a randomly generated URL, security through obscurity is not security at all.

I've turned off email notifications for the time being but this isn't an ideal workaround. If the feature isn't available do we have an ETA on when it will be?