Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Move To HTML5

Highly recommend moving from flash to HTML5. Many work provided mobile devices restrict app installing and since Android and Apple don't have flash support so you cannot stream the cameras through browsers. Flash has become very restricted in its support. Moving to HTML5 would solve a lot of issues and provide better future compatibility.

Greg

Comments
coalbear_1
Initiate

Adobe Flash says it will be no more come 2020. What effect will it have on viewing cameras?

fedup-2
Novice

SOS different day.  The flash request pops up, but this time will not reset after I do what I've done 4000 times before.    It does nothing when I try to install flash, just goes in a loop asking the same thing over aga.  Can't find any discussion that help.  They all say just leave your laptop running for eternity .  These are the worst camera's on earth.

I use google, not going to use firefox.  Can anyone, maybe  god forbid arlo tell me how to make there GD camera's work.

Not holding my breath.

Green_Apple
Follower

Here are my thoughts about my Arlo experience after 3 month of using it.

I'm a .NET web applications developer with 15 years of experience, my opinion is bias and based on my experience only.

1. Web application leg is unavoidable, but a login time from a time button is clicked must be a lot faster than 15 seconds.
  2. Issues with an Adobe Flash Plugin must be resolved by developers and should not be pushed on users giving them advice where to click in their browser to allow this silly thing. Good rule to have – never ever push shortcomings of your product on your product users.

Why in the world Arlo team decided to use Flash is for another discussion, but this thing sucks and you know it.

1. Constant timeouts, don't tell me that the cameras must be closer  to the base, if I put them any closer I will be looking at myself from 5 different angles. Yes, I have only 5 cameras and I don't think I will invest any more money into this system at this point.
  2. Doorbell, this thing loses synchronization with a base minimum twice a week. Really not cool and really annoying because you simply don't know that it did.
  3. Look how long it takes to load this page https://my.arlo.comand how it looks after you logged in in different browsers. Sorry, but this is not acceptable, and if you PMs, QA etc., decided that this is good enough - fire them.
  4. Time to connect to a camera in excess of 30 seconds, talking about leg time, this is just plain ugly and this is why options 7 and 8 must be implemented ASAP.
  5. Must have an option to record on a local PC or NAS
  6. Mus have a standalone application to view cameras on local PC without a trip to the Arlo’s overworked and slow server.
  7. Application icons, they are cute and absolutely not intuitive.
  8. All types of cameras must have an option in the app to change from a battery Icon to a power supply.

That is it for now, I hope this list is not going to grow any longer.

gjackson
Onlooker

Since Flash Player is no longer supported after 2020, Is Netgear going to update Arlo Systems to something else so I can view my camera's live and whatever else it needs it to function as I call it "normal"?  

TomMac
Guru

First Netgear no longer owns Arlo... Arlo is a separate company

Second , yes ... Arlo is planning on html5 in the future

jam436
Apprentice

If and when they make the change, I certainly hope they can employ somebody who can code better than the drug-addled team of monkeys that have right now.

Peek-A-Boo
Fledgling
Still on Flash - Pathetic
aWanderer
Aspirant

Absolutely... thought the web portal would have been HTML5 by now.  Please move there. Portal is only good for viewing recordings.  Can't use it to view live video.

FP29-2
Observer

The lack of concern Netgear has for its customers is exhibited again and again.  It's not as bad as TI, but it's getting there. 

DrSkorzy
Initiate

This is concerning. I guess if action on this is still ignored, before the time Chrome drops Flash support, I will have little choice other than to leave Arlo entirely. I'd have to cancel my Smart Premier plan and migrate to a different system. That will be a one way trip.