Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
AnnoyedBy2Fa
Onlooker

CosmicAvenger -- hate work arounds, but this sounds like it might work.  I currently have my iphone trusted and primary, so I don't actually get texts, I just get a request to aurthorize on my phone through the arlo app. I assume that I need to have the google voice number as sms trusted and primary device?  Or can a google voice number be somehow be directed to also see texts to my iphone number?

CosmicAvenger
Aspirant

@AnnoyedBy2Fa , yes, you'd have to add that phone number for 2FA on your Arlo account. I always keep a tab open at https://voice.google.com/ , but you can also use the Google Voice app (yes, there's one in the app store, too). On my Android phone it's even easier, I could use my GV# as the main text #, but I like to use them both for different things, so I just get separate notifications on my phone for texts via Messages (my phone's carrier #) and Google Voice (my Google #, obv.).

You can also have GV email you your texts, but that can take a minute or two, or more, depending on your email provider, and so it might not be suitable for 2FA.

NorCalBenny
Aspirant

The Google Voice app won’t work for my elderly non-tech mother-in-law who has an older PC and likes to check her camera several times a day.

My banks, AT&T, AMEX, etc. accounts all have Two-Step Verification and I do not have to re-verify every time, why can’t Arlo do the same?  This is not a new technology.

FYI:  On the MacBook you can configured to get your texts also sent to your MacBook.

Rwatking
Guide

I just want to do a quick and easy check on my Arlo camera on whichever device is most convenient or most accessible!! Why does this need to be made so complicated?!!!

I trust a number of devices to do this and ONCE they are verified (ONE TIME!!!!) as MINE (BY ME!!!!!) I just want to use them without multiple steps or workarounds. Why is this so difficult? I know work arounds will work and thank you all for them BUT they are just far too complicated for what should be a blazingly simple task!!!!

Arlo accept both my iPad and phone as TRUSTED DEVICES. Why not my PC? Simples!!

sholden
Aspirant

I would like to have my Chromebook and my PC to be added as TRUSTED DEVICES. 

mitch_i
Guide

I monitor with an iPad and a PC and download the videos with the PC. I tried turning on 2FA but it was extremely inconvenient. I'm thinking about getting a Surface Go 2 (running Windows Home) to replace both of those devices and be my only, dedicated Arlo device.

Would that work? How do I convince Arlo that the Surface is my only Arlo device and that it replaces the iPad?

Grizz262
Novice

Support has just confirmed this:  I often log into Arlo from my laptop, now, with the REQUIRED two factor authentication, I must authenticate each time I log in to the laptop, meaning you MUST have your authenticated phone with you every time you want to use your laptop to view Arlo Cameras. This is not acceptable!😤

Arlo.JPG

indianplayers
Fledgling

Now that 2 factor auth is now being implemented can we have some sort of cookies to save the login after we authenticate? I logon to my.arlo multiple times a day and it was annoying to keep logging in because there is no "remember me" option, it will make it 10x worse having to check my phone  every time also.  99% websites have this, so not sure why My.Arlo.com doesn't do this. 

tfirma
Aspirant

Agreed - this HAS to be fixed.  INcredible hassle to have to go through the process every time we want to log in with the browser.  Arlo, please fix this!

BobT42
Onlooker

I totally agree that Arlo's duel verification should be able to make computers of any type a trusted device. Smart phones and iPads are nothing more that small computers that are very mobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as security, I am sure my laptop is more secure than most smart phones and tablets.