Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
mdp454
Initiate

2FA is such a pain I've started a move to other cameras this one from Amazon is so much better with PTZ  too. I use it with BlueIris software, I can review all movement in a 24 hour period in just a few seconds or watch the whole 24hrs in real time no 2FA and No monthly subscription.

Thanks Arlo your poor support a pushed me to a better system.

MaineBill
Follower

New to this forum.  But the annoyance of the newly mandatory 2FA got me to comment.  Bring back the toggle to opt out at least for the PC.  Give the users the freedom to choose.    Or allow the PC to be a trusted device.  Does anyone from development actually read these posts?

Cucco
Onlooker

Anyone have recommendations on what we should replace our Arlos with?  I currently have 5 Ultras.

CurbAppeal
Star

Nancy L posted the following at the end of October 2020.  If this truly came from the CEO, we should have seen the new functionality by now.  Either way, the way this company operates and communicates is a disgrace.  They're great at communicating new products or subscription services but can't manage to communicate to users about issues and/or concerns. 

I will reiterate what many have said, if you are going to fix an issue, FIX IT.  If you're not or it's not going as expected, COMMUNICATE IT.  Don't throw out subpar functionality on users and expect people not to complain when they're spending their hard earned money on a product that is used for security purposes.

Star

Back in September I sent a snail mail to Matthew McRae at Arlo about the 2FA PC Trusted Device issue.  Here is his emailed response to me:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 12:07 PM
To: XXXXXXXXX.com
Subject: Your letter

Just a quick note to let you know I received your letter.  The team is working on the browser support for 2FA now - we are waiting for our backend provider to support the various browser implementations but some versions are already in test.  Our goal is to deploy compatibility within 90-120 days however the exact timing will depend on successful testing across environments.

I appreciate your note and want you to know the teams are working hard on this and several other performance enhancements.  Thank you for being an Arlo customer.

Matt

Bobarlousr
Novice

I've had Arlo cameras for 3 years with minor problems. Last week my PC prompted me to setup 2 step verification. I thought no big deal, do it once and good. Now like all these other comments, I have to get verified EVERY time I look at my cameras on my PC which is the only way I look at my cameras. I hear something outside, go to look at cameras, take a minute to get verification code which you cannot copy and past. Extremely annoying for quick security check. I called support in India, asked for level 2. They said tablets and phones can be saved as verified but not PC's.  They were very nice but Arlo needs to fix this since there are probably millions of PC users experiencing the same. I did find that if I brought up app on phone, when logging in app will tell you another device is trying to log in and you just have to click button. So at least there is a quicker workaround for now...

dcfox1
Master

Yea if using push notifications it pops up on phone right away and all you have to do is hit approve for the PC. About 15-20 seconds. 

BandK
Initiate

Until Netgear fixes this I'm using a temporary work-around. I've loaded an Android player, (Bluestacks,) and run the mobile arlo app from there. Once you go thru the 2FA you can name your 'virtual' android computer as a trusted site and not need to re-authorize each time. The problem is that it's slow to initialize so I just leave it up in my tray all the time which seems to work fine. Of course that slows processing of other desktop programs and, no, the desktop program will not recognize the trusted site you gave your 'virtual' android device.

Netgear really does need to hire some IT people... there's no shortage of folks that could fix this.

LeonBall
Aspirant

Thanks BandK, I had tried MEmu but Arlo did not work and my virus scanner reported it as a virus, but Bluestacks works well and my virus scanner likes it, it even created an icon to launce Arlo, not too bad. 

This of course does not negate the appalling attitude of Arlo to their users. This along with the extraordinary delay that had in fixing critical bugs in their doorbell leaves me with no trust in them, I am looking for alternatives.

Jackej
Aspirant

FYI - the Alexa app for Windows 10 now supports video/audio for Arlo cams, so if you use Alexa, you can install the Windows app, and view/use your Arlo cams , and other brand cams you might have,  in Windows one at a time , I'm not saying this is a solution to this problem at all,  it is not.  just something different  you might not know about.

But one nice feature of this is you can have a tiny picture in picture you can move anywhere on your PC screen to monitor a single camera at a time , while you are working or doing whatever on your PC

You can get the Alexa Windows 10 app from Microsoft Store

FoxRaynard
Star

Yet again Arlo have dropped the ball in misunderstanding their customers needs, and rolling out a half-arsed 'feature'.

I don't use the app, I use two laptops viewing pretty much constantly throughout the day, and this 'feature' has just increased the amount of pointless wasting of time I have to do.

If it wasn't bad enough that the website times out after about an hour EVEN IF YOU ARE CONSTANTLY USING IT, I now have to switch to an email window and manually type in a random code. Not even copy and paste, because the website is clearly not designed with usability in mind.

Either allow PCs to be trusted, or allow us to switch off 2FA