Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
johnftr
Initiate

I really really really hope JessicaP that Arlo WILL enable the PC to be treated as a trusted device ASAP. Your users have been calling for this for many months, indeed well over a year. There are those with a lot of cameras to monitor or check. In my case it is 12. Unless you have a very large mobile device it is not possible to see either the deivces quickly or indeed scroll through the library. Many of your users prefer using a laptop or PC rather than a mobile phone and this inability to make the PC a trusted device is leading to commerical decisons that will not be favourable to Arlo or indeed Verisure.

sirrah
Tutor

I have to agree.  This is a pain not being able to have the PC as a trusted device.  

Does Arlo listen to it's customers?

secaz
Virtuoso

Arlo is, has been, and always will be a POS.

Not to mention they don't give a crap about visually impaired users, who are the ones using the web portal  because no matter what mobile phone they use, people who are visually impaired struggle with the Arlo app... and the Arlo app doesn't play nice with accessibility settings.  I'm not even visually impaired and I have to use the web portal so I can really see what was going on in a video... and I have a top of the line Samsung...!!!

So, Arlo is saying that people with visual impairments are out of luck, now they have to do 2FA constantly every time they want to check their cameras on their PCs... and that is a royal pain, especially when you QUICKLY need to do a live feed, but oh noooooooooooooooooooo... have to wait for the verification code, and then struggle to enter it!  Wouldn't be quite so excruciating if you could at least copy and paste from an email... but can't do that, either... noooooooooooooooooooo... must make users SUFFER....  And there are a million other ways your account can get hacked, and 2FA is outmoded and not the panacea against hacking that Arlo seems to think it is.  Someone needs to make the Arlo devs use Arlo and its interfaces 24/7/365... bet there would be lots of grumbling among the devs after just a day... and it isn't even the devs fault, it's the fault of the powers that be who decided that THIS is how it is going to go down and damn what the customers want...

ScotCamera
Luminary

Arlo seems to enjoy rubbing this in our faces even more by giving us a 2-minute time limit to enter the 2FA number!

secaz
Virtuoso

Amen.

I've had Arlo since Arlo Pro cameras came out... and it's been a roller coaster ride ever since.  

Every day I wake up and wonder, will Arlo work today?  Never get my hopes up, though...

It never works when I need it most - it's a joke of a security system, should be considered false advertisement to tout it as such.  Isn't there a law against false advertising?

And Arlo support's only answer to everything thing is, reset your whole system and start from scratch, which has NEVER fixed a single damn thing... it's just busy work to keep customers off their backs.

The other day I had a couple of cameras which suddenly decided they no longer felt like being sync'd to their base stations...

And these cameras are soooooooooo easy to evade at night or day... at night criminals just watch the IR lights and time them to see if they are set for a fixed length of time, or if they are set to stop when motion stops.  And there is a few second lag between one recording and the next for the same camera, which criminals use to their advantage.

I have a neighbor who is trying to poison my dogs, so at night he goes out there, triggers cameras, waits until the IR lights go off then throws chocolate over the wall.  Only takes a second between recordings to do that.  He spent many nights testing the limitations for my Arlo cameras... so they are effectively useless to me... without a smoking gun video I can't prove to police that he is the one who does it.  My dogs have been inside for years, and when I take them out in my yard, they are always on leashes and we only go on the side of the house farthest from that neighbor.

And it always seems no matter the time of day, when something bad happens, the cameras in that area fail to catch the activity.  And I have 17 cameras for redundancy., and multiple base stations.

There was ONE POINT in time, early on with Arlo Pro, that everything worked SO WELL and captured useful footage, but that was short lived.  Kept hoping things would get better, but they kept getting worse... all downhill from there...

My cameras are only useful for wildlife now... since, unlike humans, they don't study the Arlo system's weaknesses... so the wildlife, at least, is captured on video... 

10main
Novice

We use your product exclusively through the browser, with the new 2 factor rules, we have reauthenticate about every 15 minutes.  it's extremely annoying and will probably end our use of the product. 

secaz
Virtuoso

I'm going to be moving in the next year or so, throwing in the Arlo system for free to whoever purchases my house, if they'll have it, lol... and if they do their research then they probably won't want it...

I will buy a real camera system for my new home...

amoagave
Novice

This is insane. What's wrong with these people? I've been using Arlo for many, many years (back to the very first cameras). Do they not have any basic financial desire to have a happy customer base that spends money on upgrades? Who is the idiot that decided PC can't be a trusted device? 99% of my Arlo viewing is at work on my laptop. Literally have 30 texts already in a few days. 
Time to look for alternatives. 

IshmaelB
Apprentice

You recently instituted 2 factor authentication against my wishes and have provided no way to opt opt.
This is a serious problem. It delays logging in, when time is critical to see what is going on on our property.
Waiting for email takes a long time, which is very unacceptable.
Getting a text on a phone is also a problem, as a phone is not always available.
We use a laptop because viewing on a smart phone is not possible, the images are much too small for the visually impaired.
You are violating the ADA, but not providing the same level of service as on a smart phone, i.e. not requiring 2FA.
You can solve this by whitelisting a device one time, and not requiring 2FA for every single login.
You started degrading service when you removed the option to stay logged in. That was bad enough. This is 10 times worse and is discriminating against the visually impaired.
When are you providing a way to opt out of 2FA and/or requiring it only once per device?
This is a security issue that you have created for no good reason. We should have the choice of whether to use 2FA or not. We expect removal of mandatory 2FA immediately.

rachelle007
Initiate

I use three devices to access MY Arlo cameras since I have had them:  two different cellphones when we aren't home and my desktop computer when I am in my office at home.  I do not want to have to enter a code every time I use MY desktop computer that I have always used to access my Arlo cameras. THIS IS ANNOYING. ARLO NEEDS TO ALLOW ME TO HAVE ACCESS TO CAMERAS I OWN ON MY TRUSTED DEVICE - DESKTOP COMPUTER. I have security I pay for on this desktop, it is secure. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!