Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
johnftr
Initiate

PLEASE enable browser-based devices capable of being trusted devices under 2FA.

johnftr
Initiate

Opened a chat with them this morning on this topic. Chat was as follows:

• Thank you for contacting Arlo! I'm Jhaf, how may I assist you today?
    Arlo Support
  • When are you going to allow browser-based devices to be trusted devices under 2FA?
  • Are you aware that a PC or MAC or laptop cannot be added as a 2FA device at the moment for your products?
    10:02 AM
  • Are you intending to delay the Nov 30th deadline for 2FA aithentication and that ALL non-mobile devices will require the use of a mobile device to be able to access our devices?
    10:03 AM
  • Hi, John. Kindly contact the Arlo European Support Team Hotline: 0800 970 3054 to assist you accordingly with your concern.
    Arlo Support
    10:04 AM
  • Are you not able to help resolve this issue or have any knowledge of 2FA?
    10:05 AM
  • Chat Ended by Agent

I called the European Support line as reqested only to be told that they are closed after goinbg through 3 different auto-answer menus. Brilliant?

hennesbe
Star

After about a month of singing in with the 3rd step I find it isn't so bad on the laptop.  I get the txt with the 6 digit number to key in on the txt msgs that display on my laptop. But having the phone next to me wouldnt be so bad.  

It helps me remember things by remembering the string of numbers. I have 3 or 4 other systems that utilize the same technique. I think Soc Security has at least an 8 digit number.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

Hi @snooplsm

When this issue occurs did you happen to log in to another device with your Admin credentials? Your Admin account can only be logged in to one device at a time.

snooplsm
Onlooker

This is via the website.  

pjama
Luminary

I only have one mobile device and if I lose it, break it or otherwise find it unavailable, I'm screwed. I'd REALLY like to have my home and work PCs as trusted device.

Rwatking
Guide

So they've finally implemented it!!!!!! and as we thought it is a ridiculously cumbersome process to see the recordings on my laptop!!!! I'm going to get another camera system but in the meantime I'm tied to my mobile phone.

You were warned ARLO but arrogantly have chosen to ignore us.  I'll be making sure all my other friends and colleagues also chose something else for their security options. I'm off!! Good Bye (but BAD BUY!!) and good riddance.

To the person who wrote:

I only have one mobile device and if I lose it, break it or otherwise find it unavailable, I'm screwed. 

Not sure what you mean by screwed, but it is easy to use email as an alternative. It is just well hidden and slower than a mobile.

What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

This does not mean that Arlo can ignore calls to make PCs easier to use, but it does mean that you aren't dead in the water and locked out of your system if you don't have a usable mobile device.

mdp454
Initiate

As I said before having invested a lot of money in Arlo I can't switch to a better system overnight, but I will move when I can.

In the meantime, if Arlo don't allow me to add my PC as a trusted device by the Christmas Holidays, I shall end my subscription to 'Arlo Smart Premier' which will save me more than $100 a year.

Perhaps if enough people did the same Arlo might make the appropriate changes!

I was just able to login without 2FA.  Think they've pushed the date again?