Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
CheCavolo
Novice

6S supports ios 11 so you're okay.  For now.

Stangle
Guide

Is there a way to go through 2FA ONCE on a browser and be done with it?
Like banks, Amazon, eBay, and well, the rest of the WWW does?

Is there a way around constantly requiring a "one time autentication" every time you look at Arlo from a browser?

- - - - - - -
I hear a noise from my desk and want to check the cameras out back from my browser. I SHOULD just be able to click my saved Arlo link and see what the commotion was, but no - there's a fetch quest involved first:

1. Type E-mail address.*
  2. Type password. *
  3. Open e-mail to get verification.
  4. Wait for mail to arrive.
  5. Copy verification code.
  6. Gain access to cameras.

I wouldn't have a problem doing that ONCE (like I did with my phones), but when you close the browser, or WORSE - go to another site  and immediately hit the back button, you have to REPEAT steps 1 – 6 all over again to gain access. Most of the time I just need to see something AT THAT TIME, not after 6 steps of data entry.

I didn't mind 2FA when I was able to turn it off.

Cache, cookies, and history were cleared.
    Browsers are updated.
    Browsers were uninstalled and reinstalled.
    This happen in safe mode and safe mode even after being refreshed (as Firefox allows you to do).
    This happens on Firefox, Brave, and Edge.

What can be done to stop this? Thanks in advance.

* Sure there's password managers and add-ons that autofill this for you, but not everyone uses those.
wbrandle
Novice

Now that Netgear has forced two-factor authentication I always have to have my phone in hand if I want to use my work or home PC.  Why can't it trust a PC if we say to trust it. Why not allow us to opt out, it's our risk, not yours. Netgear just made this product useless to me.  VMB4000

On the bright side, they did it just before I upgraded all my cameras next month to the latest Arlo devices.  Now I know to purchase something other than Arlo products. Thank you, as I would have been more upset if this happened after purchasing 10 new Arlo cameras and base. Now I know what not to buy for sure.   

Cucco
Onlooker

Every single day, I HATE this company more.  I am searching for new cameras.  Anyone have any suggestions?  

Arlo_99
Aspirant

Any of you idiot developers, product managers or management itself going to do anything about the too-short two minute login timer?

You do know that email can be subject to delays longer than two minutes, right?

Nice "Email Sent" banner though.  Typical Arlo, completely useless update under the guise of "doing something".

ArloSucks99

Cucco
Onlooker

I don't know about the rest of you..  For me, the 'timer' isn't real.  Thank goodness, because my email is so slow!

ScotCamera
Luminary

Cucco, that's pretty funny... I checked my timer too and after 2 minutes it still allowed me to use the code well into 3 minutes. How stupid is that? They either broke their own 2FA code and can't fix it or it never worked in the first place.

Arlo really cares for their customers!

Gumbi
Initiate

Not having Trusted Device for the PC/Laptop is a royal P.I.T.A., especially since we're not allowed to Opt-opt!

I use 2-factor authentication with several different websites (Banks, Credit Cards, Phone, work, etc.) where it is definitely needed, AND they all allow Trusted Device, AND I can opt-out if I choose; ARLO engineers have made this difficult and unwanted by me.

I monitor my chickens for God's sake, I'm not as worried about my ARLO account as I am with my bank! Take the gun away from my head please, or "trust me" to handle it!

Arlo_99
Aspirant

Re: ScotCamera

You're right about their timer!  Apparently I was giving them far too much credit!  Every day they continue to prove their incompetence.

Buncha morons at this company.

ArloSucks99

Stangle
Guide

@Cucco, I have heard excellent things about Eufy from others in the smart home community. Buying another product is not a viable solution for most, though.

Arlo needs to let the customers have control over the product they bought (not leased).

It took them a little over half a year to fix the Alexa skill (that they broke around 10/20), so maybe this 2FA garbage will be fixed as well. What might need to happen is someone who has a new device with support options to complain.

As for now, it's broken and too cumbersome for use.