Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.
0 Likes

Geofencing Device and LED on/off

This is a repost from the support forum. I am posting here per a suggestion.

I purchased 3 Arlo-Q cameras to replace my Nest Dropcam Pros. My reasoning is I want to move away from Google products and I've heard nothing but good things about Arlo.

There are two deal breakers for me which prompted me to return them; These are things my Google Nest cameras already does.

1. The inability to turn the cameras off when I am home and on when I leave (via Geofencing). While I realize you can 'disarm' them, it's not the same as having them off. They are still live streaming, just not recording. I would prefer to have them in a true off state when I am home.

2. Leading in from the first, I would prefer the LED to only be on when the camera is in an armed or recording state. Presumably if the camera is off the LED would be as well.

In short, my ideal setup would replicate what my Nest already does.
When I'm home the cameras are off and the LED is off.
When I'm away the cameras are on (recording) and the LED is on.

By doing this it would accomplish the following:

1. Provide me some sense of privacy when I am home as the camera would not be live streaming.

2. Save bandwidth as I do not need the cameras streaming anything while I am home.

3. Help me identify if the camera is on or off by a quick glance at the LED.

4. Save me from having to manually make these changes (turn off the camera and LED) on each of my camera whenever I leave or return home.

Hopefully Arlo will duplicate these functions and then I will happily make the switch! In the mean time I'll be sticking with my Nest.

Comments
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!