Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.
0 Likes

Extending IR motion detection range - request for comment

Hi folks,

I wonder if it's possible to use a remote, battery or solar powered device to effectively 'extend' the range of the IR motion detection on Arlo cameras.

Idea:  A device with an IR motion sensor, such as a battery powered security light, but equipped with an IR LED strobe circuit such as those used for operating small drones at night.  The idea is that when the device senses motion it activates the strobe LED for a couple of seconds.  The pulsing IR light should be interpreted by the IR sensor on the camera as 'motion' at quite a distance.

Use case:  I have a long driveway leading to my front door and intend to place an Arlo camera above the door.  The motion sensor in the camera should trigger recording when someone gets within 30ft of the door, but if possible I'd like to activate the camera sooner at night so that the Arlo person detection feature might generate a notification before the person even reaches the door.  I'd like to place a cheap battery or solar powered motion sensing security light at the end of the driveway, out of WiFi range but within view of the camera, which would both illuminate anyone approaching on the driveway and trigger recording on the camera at a distance.

Is this feasible?  Has anyone tried anything like this or confirm that this should work?  For example, does anyone know whether a TV remote control, which effectively operates as an IR strobe when a button is pressed, triggers the motion sensor on Arlo cameras at extended range?

Suggestions and comments appreciated.  Many thanks

Comments
StephenB
Guru

The PIR sensors used in motion detection use a different part of the IR spectrum than the part used by NightVision.  Most IR floodlights won't trigger them and I doubt think a TV remote would either.

It would be great if Arlo had an inexpensive stand-alone motion sensor as part of the system.  This could have it's own rule, and trigger recordings, etc on various cameras.  But they don't have that at present.  You could potentially use IFFFT to integrate someone else's motion sensor.  Hopefully others who've tried that will post their experience here.

FWIW, I have several cases where the spotlight from one camera (and the IR lights used when Nightvision is active) are in the another camera's field of view.  I will of course see those lights in recordings when both cameras trigger on something.  But the IR lights and spotlight on one camera don't seem to be enough to trigger the other camera.  

If you have multiple cameras, you could test this by pointing one camera at each other at the approximate distance you have in mind, and then try making a manual recording on that camera at night.  Then see if that triggers the second camera.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Very many thanks.  I was not aware of the IR spectrum issue.  I purchased my cameras only yesterday so I can't start testing - I'm currently researching lighting options.

The issue with the IFTTT solution in this case is I'd need some kind of signal from the sensor - WiFi, Z-wave etc, but it is likely in my case that the cameras themselves will be just about within signal coverage for reliable operation.  The end of the driveway will likely be out of signal range for that approach.  Given that the location is within line of sight of the camera however, an IR optical trigger would be extremely cheap and consume negligible battery power.  Motion sensing solar/battery lights designed for gardens and driveways are available at a low price, so in an ideal world I'd like the camera to 'see' one of these lights activate at long range and start recording.  Perhaps this is something Arlo could work on with an accessory provider?  A cheap motion sensing garden light that flashes a 'code' in the IR spectrum that activates Arlo cameras at range would be extremely useful.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I researched the IR spectrum issue further and it looks like this will never be possible.  There are no IR LEDs available that would work for this purpose and even if there were, a single emitter might not spoof a PIR sensor due to the way in which they detect motion.  If you've read this far, apologies for wasting your time

StephenB
Guru

I agree that trying to trigger the PIR sensor from another device won't work.  You'd need to trigger the camera differently. 

The closest accessories Arlo has for this are the old Arlo audio doorbell and Arlo Light.   Both have motion detection that can trigger a recording, but no camera.