Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extend the exist Animal Detection feature to stop the siren triggering every time my pet is detected

The existing animal detection feature works well.  However, it is only designed to:

1. recognise an animal 

2. stop a notification being sent after movement by an animal.

This means that every time my pet is detected by my arlo system, the siren is still triggered.  As a result, I don't get a notification to my phone that there has been movement, but the siren keeps going off, all day.  

Personally I have a security system, for security reasons. i.e. I want the siren to sound when movement is picked up.  But I also have a pet.  Normally, that means you can't have a motion-based security system, unless it has the smarts to recognise animals.

Well, Arlo does recognise animals.  But it doesn't have enough smarts in the feature yet.  At the moment, all animal detection does is stop the notification going to my phone.  That's not useful when the siren keeps getting triggered constantly.  And it means I can't use the siren when I'm out.  And I can't use the siren when I am home where my pets can move around the house in the zones set to trigger the alarm, for our security, when we are sleeping.  So, in short, the Arlo system is still unusable, if you have a pet.

I propose that the feature be extended.  Instead of only preventing the notifications, you should extend the feature to also prevent the siren triggering.  I do want to have the option of still recording the motion.  And when the movement is not by an animal, then I still want the siren to trigger.

Arlo, you've already delivered the hard part - recognising an animal.  Enhance the feature to make it sell systems to pet owners, and for your existing customers with pets to be able to upgrade to the paid subscription to get value from animal detection.

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

cryptfilter
Novice

seeing as the premium you can tell if its an animal, thats setting off the alarm at 4am, is it possible to have the option for a silent noise for pets to deter it. i know there are pictches that only animals can hear, can we use it with the animal detected feature.

ryanr16
Aspirant

Yes to both! Last night my wife and I were awakened by our back door siren as it detected a cat walking across the field of view on my back patio sidewalk. Would love to have the peace of mind that a person or vehicle initiates a siren but not some wandering critter. 

LandJS
Mentor

One thing that could really improve useless notifications would be to ignore useless things.  Yes a bee is a animal and so is a moth but does anyone really need to know one is there.  Bees love the shiny lens, moths are attracted to light but nobody needs to know at 2AM there is a moth or 25 times a day a bee is attacking one of your cams.

J0B
Fledgling
Fledgling

I thoroughly agree. I want a security system to protect my house and barns from thieves and vandals. I get 10's of camera alarms every night from cats, skunks, and possums. None of them ever try to steal anything. I would urge the arlo brainiacs to enable me to have a setting on my pro 3 system to ignore animals AT THE CAMERA LEVEL. 

Knglos
Novice

1 year later and nothing had changed. I purchased arlo for the siren and animal detection feature just to find out it is completely useless. How have they not added this feature yet ! The detection of animals if completely useless if the siren will still go off !!

J0B
Fledgling
Fledgling

Right on, Knglos. Arlo logic defies intelligence. You may want to look at Wyze. They have person detection at a much better price. 

Swindonpete
Tutor

Agree with these comments - why can’t there be a fix so that you set the system to only tigger the siren when a person is decked not an animal? I can’t imagine there are many people who want to woken /alerted when an animal is about. Please Arlo, you must have had multiple requests like this.

armccoll
Novice

Hello,

I  would like to recommend that on top of Smart Notifications, there be Smart Recording. I have turned off Animal notifications on my backyard camera, so when my dog is in the backyard I don't receive hundreds of notifications throughout the day. However, that doesn't prevent the camera from recording every time my dog walks by which drains the battery. It would be great to have a setting that only has the cameras recording for certain types of motions they sense, and not just limiting the notifications.

Thanks!