Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Donated Video In Account, Error Prevention and Content Control

I suggest that the donate video button need a pin to confirm to prevent error (confirmation is too easy) and protect privacy.

Further your donated videos should show up in your account so you can review and see if others have donated.

You should then be able to retract the donation from your account if you feel it inappropriate, if it was done in error or for any other reason.

We need more control.

Comments
LatteMom
Fledgling

I completely agree!  I accidentally donated video(s) tonight, and have no idea what I donated and don't have the option to retract the donation...Our camera is in the laundry room, so I am VERY CONCERNED about the exploitation of my children's privacy (this is a pedophiles playground!!).... I will return this camera tomorrow since I'm still within the return policy.

JamesC
Community Manager

Donated videos are used by NETGEAR for research efforts only. After clicking the donate button an additional prompt window is displayed that must be accepted before the video is donated. This is put in place to prevent accidental donation. "You are donating this snapshot to NETGEAR Arlo and give us permission to use it for research efforts."

JamesC

sarevook
Novice

This is outrageous...

Netgear needs to escalate and address the points below ASAP before more customers get affected. Hopefully this is dealt with swiftly so it doesn't hurt much your reputation (before it goes to the wider public and privacy minded organizations) and have a detrimental effect into what otherwise would be a good product.

1) My android client (latest updated version 10/12/2017 on Android O) did NOT ask for any confirmation before donating anything. I was watching my video and accidentally hit on the donate button and that's it! gone! no option to undo!

2) In Europe and UK we have data protection rights, please remove the 2 videos that I accidentally donated from all your systems ASAP or I will follow up with the Information Commisioner Office.

3) Next year with GDPR the EC can fine you up to 4% of your total income for non-compliance. In the meantime, it would be nice if you could offer a simple undo functionality. If your data is used for machine learning purposes, it's as simple as adding a consent flag linked to a user account so this can be checked and purged from all your systems when your valuable customers decide that they don't want to share with you their (potentially) sensitive data anymore. Specially if this was donated by accident due to the negligence of your development team for not doing proper QA on the donation feature.

Yours faithfully,

A privacy literate individual

JamesC
Community Manager

sarevook,

I've escalated your feedback to the product management team. I will post an update if I get any new information.

JamesC

Okwhatnow
Novice

YOU MUST PROVIDE A CANCEL AND RECALL OPTION NOW! I DO NOT GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO USE MY VIDEO FOR RESEARCH!!! YOU MUST REMOVE THIS FUNCTIONALITY IMMEDIATELY! I OPENED THE APP TO DELETE A VIDEO AND THE NEXT THING I KNEW IT WAS BEING DONATED!!! 

PlasticBaldToad
Fledgling

Completely agree with above. There are NO safe guards or pop up screen for this on my Android device. Even with this I do not see this as an  acceptable location for a button to donate your videos. I understand the need for all companies to collect data to improve products but this is totally unacceptable. I donated a video from my baby monitor by accident! I was so pleased with the product before this but this is a huge risk to privacy. Please delete my video immeadiately. 5* Amazon review will be 1* until an acceptable fix is in place.

Resortunit
Novice

I'm just learning all the features and when I was deleting video clips, I hit the donate button by mistake and didn't know what happened to the video.  I did not receive "You are donating this snapshot to NETGEAR Arlo and give us permission to use it for research efforts." This is unacceptable, there are no safeguards... the "delete" button should not be near the "donate" button.  What is the purpose that these are placed next to each other?  How can I get the donated video clip deleted?

Same thing happened to me on Android. I went to delete, accidentally hit donate, and there was no confirmation button, it just said video donated.

As the OP stated, there NEEDS to be a way to undo and view past donated videos in your account.

This is unacceptable.

hangglider
Guide

Fully agree. I just contacted support for an unintentional submission on the Android mobile app, and when I contacted support they said that there was no way to un-donate the video. Very poor application design not to prompt the user for confirmation or have a method - automated or otherwise - to undo the mistake. Particularly given the amount of time that the situation has existed.

hangglider
Guide

As I read more of the forums and the number of individuals impacted by this, as well as the length of time that the issue has existed without action