Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
Pjondeck
Observer

Yes Chevyboy67, I had a similar phonecall with Apple. They are wondering why Arlo haven't been in touch to look at resolving the problem.

Chevyboy67
Tutor

It’s an arlo problem or net gear who ever the developer is.   iOS just says you write the software in code and we just do what you say. Obviously apple approves the software in development 

Twaterhouse
Novice
When is arlo going to allow different alert tones for motion detection with iphones
Django68
Tutor

IOS users we finally have a solution to better notifications! There is a free way to get  receive a phone call when arlo is trigerred. This uses the IFTTT app ('if this then that' automation app) - took me 5 minutes to set up and it works great.

- download  IFTTT app from appstore and register

- open app

- select 'create' - this will start the creation of the applet (automation process)

- next to  'if this', select 'add'

-in search bar type arlo and select

-select your trigger

-select ' create' trigger'

- next to 'then that'  select 'add'

- in search bar type  'voip' and select 'Voip calls'

-select 'call my device'

- select 'create action'

that's it ! make sure your arlo is armed for this to work

you need to create a separate applet for each device that is armed

I noticed that the phone rings only when the screen is off/locked mode. Otherwise I just get a notification banner

Django68
Tutor

IOS users we finally have a solution to better notifications! There is a free way to get  receive a phone call when arlo is trigerred. This uses the IFTTT app ('if this then that' automation app) - took me 5 minutes to set up and it works great.

- download  IFTTT app from appstore and register

- open app

- select 'create' - this will start the creation of the applet (automation process)

- next to  'if this', select 'add'

-in search bar type arlo and select

-select your trigger

-select ' create' trigger'

- next to 'then that'  select 'add'

- in search bar type  'voip' and select 'Voip calls'

-select 'call my device'

- select 'create action'

that's it ! make sure your arlo is armed for this to work

you need to create a separate applet for each device that is armed

I noticed that the phone rings only when the screen is off/locked mode. Otherwise I just get a notification banner

ARLO team - I suggest you figure out a way to communicate this to all your users - many of whom  have been waiting in frustration for years for a solution like this. 

Pjondeck
Observer

Django68, bloody brilliant, your blood is worth bottling!!!

Why didn't Arlo come up with this?

The small pity of it is that Arlo will now drop the ball (that they never picked up) completely on providing a custom alert tone for IOS. I will still push that issue but this is a big step to making sure alerts are not missed. I see it works during Do Not Disturb as well, good stuff.

Thanks mate, I owe you a beer.

Peter 

Pjondeck
Observer

Hi again Django68, I was looking to see if I we could set a different tone for voip calls, doesn't appear so.

That would have been nice but really happy with your solution.

Thanks again.

p

Chevyboy67
Tutor

I have tried every work around to man including ifft.  I spoke to apple and arlo.  Arlo says they are working on it.  I don’t believe them at all. They just keep making new products that are in necessary.  I’ve been dealing with them for years now. I’m sure I can go back to 2016 or before and see the stuff I’ve reported to them about software issue.  Some they actually have fixed but this one is huge and will never be addressed in my eyes just like other apple apps that are coded the same. I’ve come to grips that this is it and if they fix it.   It’s a bonus 

JCdM
Initiate

Great Django68 !

I will try your recipe with my I-phone (in France near Paris).

Thanks a lot.

maleficus
Onlooker

Great djangooo!

It’s a good solution!

all done.

Tnx