Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
Pjondeck
Observer

Hi all

Thought the transcript of my interaction with Arlo Expert Support 14 April 2020 might be of interest: 

regards

Peter

Chat started at 1:43 PM

• A

Dear Peter, Welcome!

Arlo Support

• hi, thanks for taking my call.
  • I have a case number 41562938

1:44 PM

• Dear Peter, Welcome!

1:52 PM

• A

Thank you for choosing Arlo. I'm Mark, how may I assist you today?

Arlo Support (2)

1:52 PM

• You are probably getting tired of this question, is Arlo at all interested to addressing the push notification audio alert for OIS or should I think about returning my system. This has gone on for many years and people are really frustrated.

1:54 PM

• I made my report two weeks ago and was promised a response in two business days, yet to hear anything.

1:55 PM

• I had a long session with AppleCare on this issue proving that it is not an Apple issue, it is an Arlo App issue. Apple were curious that Arlo apparently had not contacted Apple to try to resolve the issue.

1:56 PM

• I have gone back through the Arlo Community posts for several years and the frustration is palpable. Does anyone in your organisation read the posts Community posts?

1:58 PM

• A

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with it. To ensure account security, may I have the email address you have registered for your Arlo account?

Arlo Support (2)

• pj_on_deck@netspeed.com.au

2:00 PM

• A

Thank you for patiently waiting Peter, upon checking here, you case number 41562938 is still on works with Arlo's engineering team.

Arlo Support (2)

2:04 PM

• Mark, it's been on works with Arlo's engineering team for five years!! can you perhaps have a look at your Community posts under OIS audible notifications and just see how long this has been going on with no feedback from your people for so long?

2:05 PM

• A

Posts from that page and website will be answered by Arlo moderators.

Arlo Support (2)

2:08 PM

• I had a prowler just after I installed the system and didn't know about it until the next day. I also have a swimming pool with authorised safety fencing but also a little boy next door who has proven he can climb the fence. Part of the reason I installed the system was to be warned if anyone enters my property. A surveillance system with no alert capability is not fit for purpose. The system is so really good otherwise that I don't understand why Arlo doesn't prioritise the resolution of this situation.

2:08 PM

• I don't see any responses on the Community site from Arlo moderators.

2:09 PM

• Do your engineers talk to Apple, they expressed a willingness to work with you.

2:11 PM

• A

Since the case is assigned to them, I believe they are investigating the case and doing their best to resolve the issue. Other iOS devices are working fine with the App.

Arlo Support (2)

2:13 PM

• No they are not Mark. Check out the Community site.

2:14 PM

• Why don't the "engineers" have a look at the site. I am retired now but spent my career working in technical and electronic security. I know I could really promote your otherwise excellent product if this issue were resolved.

2:16 PM

• I'm not sure there is much more that I can say. If this isn't enough to get something happening then I am doing it into the wind. In Australia under consumer law I can return a product if it is not fit for purpose, I hope I don't have to do that.

2:19 PM

• Your email said "An Arlo Support expert will review your query and respond within 1-2 business days", it didn't happen. Can you perhaps tell me of an OIS device that is working fine with the system please?

2:22 PM

• Thank you for your time Mark, I realise you are probably just the poor bugger who has to respond to these calls.
Username2020
Novice

Just bought Arlo and now realize we can’t customize the notification on iOS.  What the hell?  Thinking of returning system.

WALWW
Follower

It’s clear to me that Arlo has no interest in any of its customers concerns. If you start diligently searching you’ll find out this is been a problem since 2017. This is ridiculous and clearly and Arlo issue. If they truly cared about their product they would get this fixed. Obviously this company has little to no customer support. I would recommend everybody they attempt to return your product or sell it and get something that’s actually reliable.

Rrocket
Aspirant

I purchased a few years back and unfortunately too much time passed before I realized things or I would have returned the system, beyond that

I Truly thought THEY would evolve & address the Issues . (NOT)

I don’t think new purchasers understand first of all,...about the time delay I.E. it’s not like immediate and of course for IOS Users the Notifications issues are just Totally frustrating. The Equip’t itself seems good.

The Only thing I can say is “THIS IS A “FALSE SECURITY” SYSTEM

mdh42
Aspirant

To username2020. Return it.  Arlo /Netgear obviously won’t do carp to fix this. 

Pjondeck
Observer

Can I suggest that everyone raise an issue with Arlo "support" (support!!!). You will be issued a report number and receive an email advising that an Arlo support "expert" will be in touch in two business days.

This won't happen, I have tried it twice. After a week I suggest you then raise a new report referring to your previous report by number. You will then receive a new report number and, you guessed it, an email advising that an Arlo support "expert" will be in touch in two business days. I suggest that after another week you raise another issue with Arlo referring to both of the previous report numbers. It will be interesting to see how many report numbers we can gather before someone reacts! Perhaps we could make it  a challenge? I have two so far.

Pjondeck
Observer

I am trying to contact Arlo support:

I used this link:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/products/support/contact.aspx

I got this response:

The page you requested could not be found or is no longer available.

Think I'll have a beer!!

StephenB
Guru
@Pjondeck  wrote:

I used this link:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/products/support/contact.aspx

I got this response:

The page you requested could not be found or is no longer available.

Well, it helps if you use the correct link: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Pjondeck
Observer

Thank you Stephen

I didn't invent the link I used I got it from the Arlo web site. I don't find the site easy to navigate, perhaps my 73 years under the belt is not an asset! As you are a SUPERUSER Guru I wonder could you shed some light on where we really are on this issue or am I pissing into the wind? I really appreciate that someone with obvious experience has actually read the posting.

regards

Peter

Pjondeck
Observer

Not really a new idea but wonder if someone could check the Community postings on this subject and give us some idea of what is or is not being done about it? A lot of people rate this as a significant issue and I am wondering where to go with the system, I have only recently purchased it and under Australian consumer law can return it as not fit for purpose without an adequate alert mechanism in place. I have two case numbers 41591614 and 41562938. Appreciate your feedback.

Thank you

Peter