Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
Brianwells1989
Follower

I agree that it makes no sense why an Android phone can change the tone for alerts on their notifications but Apple cannot. Please fix this! Unacceptable!!

d12bn
Star

What is wrong with this company. We buy these cameras in case of an emergency situation and I can’t assign a different tone than I get from a text! Useless and stupid and unacceptable!  Fire someone, hire someone that can fix it. 

This is going back to Amazon 

d12bn
Star
Is there going to be a fix so we can select different tones when we get a camera notification?
Thanks
Yossi
Novice
Sometimes, Arlo iOS app is alerting me, but the alert sound isn't loud enough. Please allow changing the notification sound on iOS to other, louder and longer sounds.
Yossi
Novice

Hi

when is it going to be fixed/change on iOS ?

mdh42
Aspirant

Be sure to l "like" the opening post so this will get noticed. BTW, this thread is in the top 20 (may be the top 10 now) of all suggested customer ideas.

Dannybear
Master
I found an article on push notifications for iOS if any developers are interested.

The 3 Ps to Custom Alert Sounds in iOS Push Notifications.
jgw_atx
Fledgling

Just to chime in with the others, I want to ensure everyone that this is 100% not a limitation in iOS, this is absolutely an Arlo problem.  There are many apps that use custom notification sounds for push notifications, I use them myself on a regular basis.  This may have been a limitation in iOS years ago but it has not been an iOS issue for a long time now.  So I'm forced to agree that either A) NetGear management does not want to spend money on iOS app development or B) The developer(s) who wrote the iOS app quit and the replacement dev(s) are scared to touch anything for fear they may break something else.  Which is unfortunately common in software development, and the company will surely not admit if this is the case.

It is a shame because I really like the product otherwise and I don't want to return everything just because they can't be bothered to make a trivial update to the iOS app.   I got the Arlo Baby monitor so I could (for example) mow the lawn while my kid is napping, but there's no way I will notice the default "chime" unless I'm sitting still in silence with my phone in my hand.  This is a major problem for a security product.

Again, this is 100% NOT a limitation of iOS, this is absolutely on NetGear/Arlo and it's clear that they don't care about this glaring (and easy to fix) defect.  😞

Chevyboy67
Tutor

So this is what I think.  If you notice other apps that aren’t able to have configurable alerts.  This is not an Arlo thing it’s an apple thing.  This is part of their core in programming.  Just like back in the day you were able to take ringtones and have them on your phone etc. it’s prob a money thing and a piracy thing as well.  This is just my opinion and probably have it 100 percent correct

d12bn
Star

We need this