Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Built-in alarm system that uses pin/password to deactivate so the camera cannot be easily stolen

Hi all -

I think what would be a good idea is to have an password/pin activated/deactivated alarm system built into the camera, which when mounted, will trigger an alarm when dismounted. When you want to dismount the camera to, say, charge the battery, you can enter a password or pincode into your app/account to deactivate the alarm.

I recently got my camera stolen... which really really sucks. And the person got out from under it and stole the camera while taking advantage of someone's motion from walking. I've had my camera stolen 5 minutes after I installed it. And it sucks to have it stolen so easily. I'm mounting it more permanently and getting it done by a professional.

So, I would definitely appreciate a built-in alarm system that is pin/password activated and disactivated for the camera itself so that when it is dismounted or moved, it will trigger an alarm and deter people from stealing it.

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

dougblair
Apprentice

I think that if someone is intent on stealing one of these little cams there is very little one can do to stop them, BUT we can make it useless if they do, which should discourage to same extent.

How about a scenario that requires no interaction to register a camera with a base station the first time, but does require interaction with Netgear support to change it to a different base station? That way if Netgear is notified of the theft the camera's location can be determined. This feature is already active fior the base station itself, so not a big change in process or technology.

While we're at it, if a camera noticed a lot of motion detected while it is not connected to the base station, possibly combined with a prolonged period of no light/no picture (e.g in a thief's pocket), can the camera go into some promiscuous wifi mode and let Netgear or the registered owner know where the camera is?  Or to force some notificatuon behavior by the next base statioin it connects to?  If it reconnects to the same base station no need to notify, as it has probably been returned to the same location with fresh batteries....

Jordan2318
Novice
Would be great if once you pair a camera to base station they can’t be unpaired without a pin, so if stolen they are useless. Also gps on the camera may be good so it broadcasts location if stolen.