Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Auto or timed brightness

Would be great to have either auto brightness or timed brightness so you can set different levels for day and night. During the day one of my cameras is near direct sunlight but at night I need the best brightness possible for that area. If the brightness could be adjusted depending on ambient light that would be logical.
Comments
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

@Nikk777

When did this issue occur & you mentioned all your cameras are behaving like this?

Nikk777
Initiate

I just realized something while playing with the settings...  Switching to Black/White picture is not controlled by Night Vision.  I turned off night vision and the picture was still black and white?  So I need to correct my request...

I would like an adjustment for when Black/White mode kicks in and Color is turned off.  

Nikk777
Initiate

ShayneS,

This has been the way it is for quite some time.  The Pro 2 was like that since i got it 6 months ago which caused me to notice the same issue with the other cameras.  Especially those that are inside yet have abundant light through windows or from actual lights.

netgadget
Initiate

Dear Arlo Pro Development Team,

I'm wondering why its not offered to alow different brightness settings for day & night. As I'm pretty sure customers are using cameras on various places, where low brightness needs to be used during sunny days as well as during night very dark places for which high brightness would help for better motion detection and video quality?

There is just one general brightness setting available via Settings > My Devices > Choose your Arlo Camera> Video Settings > Brightness.

The problem I have is that for day brightness level 50% is perfect, but for night brightness level of 75% would be perfect, as far as I can see there is no option to distinguish between day & night?

Thank you & best wsihes

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

mwitte1990
Novice

I agree. To have to manually adjust the brightness for better image is annoying. I have a number of cameras and to have to adjust the brightness for each camera morning and night takes at least 10 minutes in the morning and at least 10 at night. 

mwitte1990
Novice

I agree. Said the same on another post as well.

@Accatx wrote:
Would be great to have either auto brightness or timed brightness so you can set different levels for day and night. During the day one of my cameras is near direct sunlight but at night I need the best brightness possible for that area. If the brightness could be adjusted depending on ambient light that would be logical.

mobyhack
Aspirant

People have been requesting this feature for years.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Auto-or-timed-brightness/idi-p/1363721
https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Idea-Schedule-Camera-Settings-e-g-Brightness/idi-p/...

It wasn't so bad back when we could fine-tune the brightness adjustment. I used to be able to set one camera to 35% brightness and another one to 65%, which were a sufficient balance for daytime sunlight and nightime porch light interferences...it wasn't ideal, but it at least gave me useable video any time of day. Then last year they got rid of the ability to fine-tune the brightness, so now I'm stuck with 25/50/75 percent adjustments, which means I have to choose between daytime quality or nighttime quality (or manually adjust brightness settings every morning/evening).

I suspect this feature will continue to be asked for but never implemented.

bRandom79
Novice
It is ridiculous that the auto brightness feature has not been implemented yet. Makes me not want to recommend this camera to anyone.
Mobis
Apprentice

Agreed, pretty poor, night times are the times we need extra light to catch the action.

Please upgrade this Arlo.