Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo solar panel longer charging cable

The USB charging cable for the upcoming Arlo solar panel is 6 ft. However, in order to position the solar panel correctly for a few of my outdoor cameras that will be under eaves or awnings, it would be great if the USB charging cable was available in a 12 ft length. Please make this available as part of the ordering process.

Comments
brh
Master
Master

@Nm74

This cable will not work with the solar panel as it is sold. You will have to purchase a female USB to male micro usb connector as both the camera and the solar panel use female micro usb ports.

Brian

Jeff3113
Apprentice
The real question is how much drop in power would occur over 20 feet.
Add to that the fact most solar panels lose performance over time.
Those panels may last 5 years.
Points that need consideration.
The panels are not cheap (IMO, overpriced)..
Nm74
Fledgling

Netgear should make a longer one available........ 6ft is not very practical, and severly limits good placement of panel.

brh
Master
Master

@Nm74

That suggestion has been requested several times in this Idea Exchange and as yet Arlo has done nothing about it. Please search this Idea exchange for those posts and give them kudos. The more kudos a suggestion that are given for an idea, the more seriously Arlo will look at it.

Arlo has been very weak in the accessories they offer.

There are other cables that will work, someone posted a good one just recently, just be advised these are not authorized by Arlo, so use them at your own risk.

Brian

Jeff3113
Apprentice
I use the longer cable to charge(with arlo charger) a camera up in a remote location. Has worked FLAWLESSLY.
A charge lasts many months.
Come on now, this stuff is basic electronics.......
GeorgeJ1
Novice

I tried to extend original cable between solar panel and camera and my comments are :

1. why four wires are used between solar panel and camera , usually only two are required

2. have not connected screen , only four cores red,white,green,black

3. the additional length is 6 meters and I used large cable as extension ( much larger than original cores)  but seems that does not work

4. Frustrated with overengineered simple solar charger !!!!

5. Cannot get any information ( wiring diagram) to do basic fault findings

6. It looks like only one core red is used as 5 volts

7 perhaps they used screen as negative ( really bad practice)

8 What are the purpose of white green and black cores

9 typical example of making simple things complicated

abt
Tutor
Tutor

I have 4 VMC4030P cameras that I'd like to run power to, possibly up to 10 meters. Any recommendations for cables and power supplies that you know of that work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager

abt,

Take a look at the Arlo website for the recommended and some alternative powering solutions. You can find these here: Arlo Products and Accessories

JamesC

abt
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks James. I've looked on there and I can't see any power cable that are long. Perhaps someone can recommend a third party solution?

Cyber2steve
Guide

I have tried other longer cables which would power my camera but not charge the battery... Pangda 20 ft Weatherproof Cable is the only one that does both... Best cable out there that I found...