Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo needs to SCRAP its software!

Who agrees with me that Arlo needs to SCRAP its software and get new "developers"?

I've been an amateur programmer since the 1980's.  I can't believe how terrible Arlo's programming is. And this is a high tech company, for God's sake!

It doesn't have to be so damned complicated, confusing, frustrating and even impossible to do what you want to do.  Here's some FREE advice:

First,  get rid of "rules", "modes" and YOUR idea of "schedules".

Then,

1.  The new user should simply be instructed to set up various "programs", which each consist of setting up times of day (when motion detection should be ON), sensitivity, duration, and notification preferences, with names like "weekday", "weekend", "holiday" and "OFF".
  2.  Then, the user should be able to choose each camera in turn, or several cameras, if they want them to share the same program. Once the camera or cameras have been selected, the user should be presented with a calendar of boxes for the next four weeks (beginning with the current week) and invited to select as many days as they wish, after which they can apply whichever of their "programs" they like to those days. Once they have all of the days accounted for, they are done for the camera(s) selected for nearly a month.
  3. If they have other cameras to program, they will need to go through step 2 for each of them.  ( They should be able to come back to this step any time they want to make a quick and easy change, and the NEXT four weeks from that point in time should be displayed, so that the user can update his camera program selection, if need be.)

Dear fellow user, feel free to improve on my idea, if you can. Most importantly, however, give this post Kuddos, if you want Arlo to DO ANYTHING to improve its program.

Comments
Rayosun
Initiate

I've been an amateur programmer since the 1980's.  I can't believe how terrible Arlo's programming is. And this is a high tech company, for God's sake!

It doesn't have to be so damned complicated, confusing, frustrating and even impossible to do what you want to do.  Here's some FREE advice:

First,  get rid of "rules", "modes" and YOUR idea of "schedules".

Then,

1.  The new user should simply be instructed to set up various "programs", which each consist of setting up times of day (when motion detection should be ON), sensitivity, duration, and notification preferences, with names like "weekday", "weekend", "holiday" and "OFF".
  2.  Then, the user should be able to choose each camera in turn, or several cameras, if they want them to share the same program. Once the camera or cameras have been selected, the user should be presented with a calendar of boxes for the next four weeks (beginning with the current week) and invited to select as many days as they wish, after which they can apply whichever of their "programs" they like to those days. Once they have all of the days accounted for, they are done for the camera(s) selected for nearly a month.
  3. If they have other cameras to program, they will need to go through step 2 for each of them.  ( They should be able to come back to this step any time they want to make a quick and easy change, and the NEXT four weeks from that point in time should be displayed, so that the user can update his camera program selection, if need be.)

Dear fellow user, feel free to improve on my idea, if you can. Most importantly, however, give this post Kuddos, if you want Arlo to DO ANYTHING to improve its program.

JamesC
Community Manager

Rayosun,

Thank you for the feedback!

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager

Rayosun,

Thank you for the feedback. I will forward your concerns to the product manager.

JamesC

Rayosun
Initiate
Thank you, James. Good businesses really appreciate the contributions customers make when they point out improvements that can be made. And to get such added value without even having to pay anything for it!
DLynne44
Novice

I've tried to make my videos clearer at a distance, but have not found a way to edit an important video of people outside of my home.   Any idea of softwre that could help me.   

DLynne44
Novice

Trying to find out a way to edit my Arlo video to clarify at longer distance.   All I can see from a video that is a shadow of people outside of my home with flashlights and a car.    Is there a good software program to clear this up some?  

saint_e
Initiate

I have been using the Arlo system with 2 cameras for just over 2 months and am really disappointed. The software version I started with was OK, not perfect, but the new revised/upgrade (really a downgrade) is truly awful. These programmers obviously do not know the KISS principle.

The system has some very good features (wireless being the BIG plus). I found the setup very good, but the software, oh the software...terrible, terrible; has gone from bad to worse!

T9001
Star

I agree. I have posted a detailed list of issues with the new software here, I'd like to hear your thoughts https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Scrap-the-new-update/idc-p/1048857#M1616