Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Doorbell camera

Hi there,

there is a product that I nearly purchased, sent to me from iPhone magazine, it's called "Skybell WIFI Doorbell"

Which is obviously a doorbell with a camera that communicates with your router & smartphone, and not only can you see the person, you can talk to them too. Plus it was waterproof. I thought I really want something like that, but what stopped me buying it was it was not totally wireless like the Arlo systems I have bought. It needs to connect to a physical power source, not battery powered, so given that total wireless was the main reason for my netgear Arlo purchases, I couldn't buy that doorbell system.

I really hope that Netgear and their Arlo team come to up with something similar, as I would definitely buy one if it was available.

Cheers

Ross

Comments
Cwmmmm
Luminary

The link I put in my comment was broke for me here’s a new one it should work. 

https://www.i-viewnow.com/news/arlo-partners-with-iviewnow

adammiarka
Apprentice

...duplicate.  Delete!

adammiarka
Apprentice

Found it just before you posted it!   Doesn't look bad!  It's thin which makes it a good fit for a lot of doors.   Really interesting in this now.   Recently bough the Ultras again after the relaunch and they are working wonderfully!   With the release of the video doorbell and the upcoming promise of HomeKit...I'm in heaven!  😄   Hoping the doorbell camera has HDR like the Ultra.  That makes a big different with clarity to me.

Cwmmmm
Luminary

I can’t wait! I still don’t see anything on fcc listing for it but hopefully it will be here by summer!

Hmmm... Reading between the lines I bet it'll require a monthy subscription service to use it - like the Ultra. 

😕

Cwmmmm
Luminary

Does or does not it will be a great addition, and think , you could get Person alerts paying the monthly fee! 

adammiarka
Apprentice

@Sentry_Turret  would think that the doorbell camera could be included in an existing Arlo smart plan.   $99 a year is not bad and allows up to 10 cameras.  If Arlo can keep adding features / newer cameras for that same price per year, they are moving in the right direction.   That's bascially what Ring is doing with their ecosystem of cameras and now alarm system.   

Also remember that Arlo is working on local storage playback via tha app.  That would mean that you would at least be able to playback all the recorded clips without a smart plan.   You'd want to get the smart plan if you wanted better filters for motion detection (person, animal, etc) which has to be processed up in the cloud anyways.  

I’m not interested in filters or people alerts.  I don’t want to pay a monthly fee. Period.  That’s why I went with Arlo in the first place. 

An optional subscription for folks who want additional features is fine.  A mandatory subscription isn’t. 

In fact, I would have upgraded to an Ultra if the monthly payments weren’t mandatory.

PhilipB8
Tutor

Why dont you design a doorbell with camera?

brh
Master
Master