Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Alerting Mechanism for Base Station / Camera Offline

Our installation will be very remote beach house. There is a need for mains failure detection in case intruder has deliberately switched of the power. This would be a nice sofware update feature.

Comments
MarkC
Luminary
Do not agree with this! We are talking about issues at the user end not issues at the cloud. Alerting users that the system is down at their end has nothing to do with issues at the server/cloud end. I have been using Arlo for years and NEVER had an issue when trying to connect etc. L Also thats not what EDDYJ said, he said that people would call in more as they may not understand the notification... not that Arlo have a faulty system. The system is fine IMHO they just need to implement the notifications. Also, I would have thought that the notification would be pretty clear that there is an issue at the user end. Even Arlo are not that daft lol.
TheWolk
Apprentice

Agree with MarkC. The system has been working well for me and is reliable. It just missing critical notification about client-side connectivity problem events.

bobbybrown79997
Onlooker

I am talking specifically about issues on the user end. I have contacted multiple people from Arlo support about why I cannot get notifications when a camera stops working which can happen because of multiple scenarios. They always refer me to using something like IFTTT for notifications so they do not want to address this which is why I think eddyj is on to something. They have an overall issue, whatever that is, that will be exposed if people are alerted every time their cameras go down. It would not be hard for them to send an email when a camera goes offline. They currently do it with the batteries so it can be done but they choose not to. 

cbcharlie
Follower

all we need is arlo's cloud services to send a signal to our cameras every so often to make sure they are still active and online, if if they are not, a notification would get sent to the user notifying them that something might be wrong.  If the power gets cut, of someone unplugs it, it's very useful to know if you are protected or not.

eddyj
Guide

I would settle for an email when the Base Station stops communicating. Doing it at the camera level, while nice, would be harder. But at least tell me that the whole system is off-line!

MarkC
Luminary
But they are 2 completely seperate issues! We are simply talking about sending a notification if there is an issue at the camera end. This has zero to do with any issues they may or may not have and be concealing at the cloud or server end. I'm pretty sure that they would be able to tell if the issue was at their end or the users end and s such not send the notification. Personally, I cannot see any reason apart from down right ignorance that they have not implemented this. Well apart from the fact that they would have to put scripts in place to ping or monitor the cameras pinging the cloud every so often. This itself holds pretty high overheads if we consider the amount of cameras out there. So if there is a reason it is simply cost because as mentioned they can clearly distinguish between issues at their or the user end so I'm pretty certain there is no conspiracy here to try and prevent us from seeing issues they may have. People just love a conspiracy though 😉
bobbybrown79997
Onlooker

It must be really hard to have a conversation with you in real life. You disagree with everything than try to make similar, if not the same, argument. Ok we will go with they are all ignorant and just cannot figure this out.  

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice

Not a hard ask here.  Other vendors do this by default.  My Honeywell thermostats let me know if they stop communicating with the Honeywell servers. Honeywell sends out an email. As a matter of fact I can set in my account how long to wait before the notification goes out so I am not notified the second it happens.  I usually wait 1 hour for it  to come back online before being notified.  I can also tell it how often to remind me that it’s still offline I just have it set to once.  Once it’s back online I get email saying it’s back online.  But have the option to be reminded say every 2 hours if still offline.  This isn’t rocket since and we paid a lot of money for this system. I have 4000 wrapped up in several. properties.  Amazing how. 99 dollar thermostat can handle this but an expensive system cannot.  Some people on here say they never have an issue.  That’s great, but that does not mean many others are or want this feature.  If you are happy with the way things are u suggest to you with all due respect you are posting in the wrong forum.

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice

Not sure who you are responding to but I did not disagree with anyone.  I stated what my thermostats allow me to do and that I as well as many others want this feature.   I also did not attack anyone personally.  I suggest  you reread the post if you are directing your venom at me.

good day.

TheWolk
Apprentice

How do we get Netgear to implement this critically important feature or at least get a reasonable explanation why it cannot be put in place? Arlo is positioned as security product and sold for premium price. It should work as one!