Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

3 Ideas : Block areas of video with mask grid + Image rotation + Brightness schedule.

Hi,

<<< If you like any of the below ideas,

please thumbs up this post for Arlo to see:

Idea 1: Block areas of video

There are several instances where the camera needs to block areas of video. For example, if the camera covers part of a neighbours house or a public path (which in the UK is illegal to record with CCTV).

To get around this, a grid mask could be added. This would allow you to select any areas that should not be recorded (instead replacing that square with black).

See below image for an example.

mask.jpg

Idea 2: Image rotation 90 and 270

For some of us, the camera at a 90 or 270 angle would be much more useful (e.g. in a narrow pathway or tall long narrow garden). 

Please see below.

rotate.jpg

Idea 3 : Brightness schedule

IT would be great if at e.g. 10pm the camera could increase its brightness. I know you can do this manually via the live view but if we do this at night then the next day (if its sunny) too much light is let into the camera.

If possible, can we have the camera increase its beightness at a set time and go back down at another time.

Thanks and thumbs up if you want this on your arlo camera! 🙂

Comments
miladm
Fledgling

Adaptive brightness control is definitely a feature that helps detect far-away object in dark while maintaining sufficient visibility in bright daylight. Please provide the support.

GregorS
Onlooker

The block of areas in the video is also something for germany. Its hard to place the camera without having the neighbor or the street on the video. Please implement the mentioned option ASAP. Bosch is having this feature and also several others. By law we are only allowed to film our property and ground in germany!

GregorS
Onlooker
Hello Arlo Team, there are quite some products out there having already such a feature. The suggestion made is perfect, would need to be implemented by you. Are there any comments from Netgear, a roadmap when we could expect this feature?
Mthai19
Follower

Masking is a must in a lot of European countries, more specifically in the UK. As the ultra has an 180 degrees coverage, you will always get recording of areas that are illegal by law (neighbors, public pathways etc).

Almost all of Arlo competition provide this feature, and for me is a deal breaker, and the reason we had to choose a different camera system at work, just because the ability wasn't there.

The customer support to this was to "get creative with zooming!". I think we are missing the point, this is a great product with a big price to pay, so a simple feature like this has to be implemented.

Kind regards

GregorS
Onlooker

The function is more or less ready with marking areas that detect motion, just add a cluster to change areas to black and do not record them

Lyrist
Novice

Dear Arlo, I am trying to install the cameras. Could you add on some "function request list" the ability to black out (or better yet smudge) zones outside of the activity zone. I mean a single toggle button would be enough and easy to implement. Just that here in Europe it is illegal to have part of the video showing neighbour's yard. So this little, simple update, would enable many users use your cameras respecting the local laws. Many times it is not possible to position the camera in such a way as to avoid this. Please, if you could respond. Thanks!

DAWagner
Follower

Love the idea of scheduling. I have the Arlo Pro 3s. We should be able to set the security light to turn on when motion is detected based on time of day and not how bright it is. So, the schedule determines when the light goes on with motion.

I have a front porch light that interferes with the security light turning on when motion is detected. That feature would bring the Arlo to the attention of the intruder and to let them know there is something recording their activity. I'd rather someone back off, knowing they are being captured on video, than to capture them breaking in to my home because they didn't notice the security device. 

Jonny22
Guide

@DAWagner  @Lyrist @anyone-else-who-see-this-thread

I wouldn't bother requesting anything it will fall on deaf ears.

Personally, if you are still within your warranty I would take them back asap. Arlo is great when it works but after 3 years I've learned as a CCTV system its rubbish.

• Constant firmware problems/cameras going offline randomly even with full wifi signal (when can I plug a USB stick back in the hub arlo!!!!???)
  • Poor support (have you tried turning it off and on again....seriously)
  • lack of basic features that come with other cheaper cameras a standard.
  • Zones was added but it is poorly done glitchy as hell plus costs extra.
  • Two way communication has massive lag and even when it does work you can't hear their response as the audio is muted.
  • App often slow to connect to cameras (have to close and re-open to try to get the camera to play live).
  • and even if all the above could be ignored, the quality is shocking. The compression used really does leave you with a fuzzy mess when there is any fast motion e.g. a robber running away from your house!! 

I'm listing mine on ebay next week and replacing it with Unifi Protect. Bye bye arlo.

gglenn
Novice

The blocking of an specific grid area of video is mandatory.  For my best camera angles, I see my neighbors windows which need to be 100% blacked out in all view. images, etc.   I have the Ultra 2's.