Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Kevinleese49
Follower
Follower

Hi I have just got the new iPhone XS max and it is synchronised to my cameras but it will not play my library videos but will play live events can you help please

602 REPLIES 602
Gizzygone
Star
Star
iOS 12.1 beta 4 here on an iPhone XS (not max) and I’m still having the same issue.

So maybe just unsubscribe since your problem is fixed instead of getting pissed off; as it seems the beta only fixed the problems on the Max....
Fiffo
Guide
Guide
Thanks for offering your lunch, but the iOS 12.1 beta 4 fix is only for the XS Max.
WPJosh
Initiate
Initiate
If you do not have constructive feedback feel free to not get involved. We should not have to download a BETA version of an operating software to get this to work. BETA’s are just that for a reason...they are not finalized, they are often full of glitches, and usually result in phones crashing.

Enjoy your BETA..
david8704
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Beta works just fine 🙂 But thanks for asking. It must be good for you to know, who don´t want to run the beta, that it's a fix coming for you also as soon as this beta becomes an regular update within a few weeks.

Best regards.

Gizzygone
Star
Star
Beta does NOT work fine on XS. It only seems to have fixed the Max.
Zandian
Apprentice
Apprentice
That’s correct, people don’t have to download it, but much of the frustration here from those who have is that people continue to report the issue and complain about it when there is a very good chance it is going to be fixed with 12.1. It appears to be working for many. I think the frustration is people keep saying it’s a Netgear issue and that they are going to return their units-when a fix is likely on the horizon. If this is truly something that needs to wait for Apple to update IOS then my thoughts are that those folks should either download the beta, wait for 12.1 or stop complaining about Netgear that the their camera isn’t working.

It does appear that the XS standard may not be fixed by 12.1. That is a concern but it is also outside the subject of this post. But hopefully it will not take an Apple update to fix it because that could take too much time and I can certainly see how frustrating that would be. Hope that will not be the case for those folks.

Z
beausoleilb1
Tutor
Tutor

@Zandian wrote:
Sure they know there’s a new phone coming out, but unlike Apple’s IOS beta program where developers are given advanced builds of the upcoming software, I’m pretty sure Apple isn’t giving the Netgear engineers new XS phones to play with and adjust their code for. They likely get one when the phone is released. Only then can they really know what Apple has changed and what coding remnant may cause an issue with the new platform.

There may be new cloud recording technology or features introduced industry wide, or exclusive to Netgear that may be different than your old Foscam. And it’s possible. Or there could be something different between the Arlo first gen and their later generations that result in only one of the generations having issues (like resolution, compression algorythm, video codecs, etc).

I’m simply saying that there is complexity here that is difficult for the average consumer to grasp and we maybe shouldn’t be so quick to point fingers if we really don’t know the whole issue.

That said, I think we can complain about poor communication. That Netgear can control and I believe should improve.

Z

I have to disagree with this a bit.  If you're going to provide a security camera system to consumers and you learn about a bug the day a new phone is released you should be all over that immediately.  It should not take a company over a month to fix.  I don't care how complex it is.  Put your best people on it and get to work.  Their engineers should be working night and day to resolve this issue.  Issue a PR statement and commit to a resolution ASAP (day's not weeks or months).  We've been without replay on our phones since the release of the iPhone XS nearly a month ago.  This isn't a game that has no impact on people's home or business security.  Sure, these are inexpensive security cameras compared to what banks might use, but they have a right and duty to their customers to deliver a working product.  I agree with you that their lack of communication to their customers and being upfront and responsive to the issue tells me a lot about the company.  

So lets talk about the technology... it's a cloud system.  The videos recorded are stored in the cloud so these phones are merely a replay interface to the videos.  They're not stored on the phones, the base station or on the cameras.  It should be relatively simple to fix this issue.  Even if they use a proprietary video format to store it in the cloud, they should be able to convert the video in real-time.  The videos work in browsers, so we know the system is still recording.  Netgear is a large enough company that their VP's, IT directors, or someone higher up should be able to reach out to Apple and have a discussion about what changed from the iPhone X to the XS that could have "broke" their app.  

SailsElan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey everyone! I noticed this morning that my videos are now playing on my iPhone XS Max!!! WooHoo! Don’t know what changed., but happy!!
SailsElan
Aspirant
Aspirant
CHECK TO SEE ... MY IPHONE XS MAX IS NOW PLAYING MY VIDEOS AND I DID NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES. OCCURRED OVERNIGHT.
beausoleilb1
Tutor
Tutor

@SailsElan wrote:
CHECK TO SEE ... MY IPHONE XS MAX IS NOW PLAYING MY VIDEOS AND I DID NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES. OCCURRED OVERNIGHT.

App update for you?  I have an XS and just checked the app store and there are no updates showing... for me at least.  

Zandian
Apprentice
Apprentice
I completely agree with you if it is something Netgear could have reasonably predicted or is within their control. But I don’t know if we will ever know if it was simply something like sloppy coding on Netgear’s part, or really something new introduced by Apple that couldn’t have been predicted until the phone came out. I lean towards the latter since the fix seems to be in Apple’s IOS update. But since I really don’t know I myself try to avoid placing blame.

Z
Zandian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well the video is stored and fed from the cloud so maybe they’ve changed something on their end-possibly by changing encoding or compression?
SailsElan
Aspirant
Aspirant
No app update that I am aware of. Perhaps my apps are updating automatically?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The engineering team is aware and is currently investigating and working toward a resolution for this issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, while we work toward a resolution, we recommend using a browser to view videos. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

gray_speedster
Initiate
Initiate

I have an iPhone XS and am on the beta channel for iOS updates. After iOS 12.1 beta 4 that was pushed out earlier this week, I am now able to play videos on my phone from Arlo. I can play both old and new videos. So it may actually be an iOS issue and not an Arlo issue. 

Blackharley
Guide
Guide
I have same issue since phone come out Sept 21 I have talked to support many times same old answer none! One month with no cameras not a good security system
Blackharley
Guide
Guide
Netgear don’t own Arlo anymore
Zandian
Apprentice
Apprentice
True
Jon06chris01
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the same problem I have to take my old iPhone 6s with be wherever I go so I can play video recording
Andyweak
Tutor
Tutor
There was an app update but it did not fix the issue with the iPhone Xs and XS Max
Matthew1124
Initiate
Initiate
Yep same here ..just updated the app and still not playing the videos

Hey at least new logo looks good

Thanks Netgear
MacMad
Tutor
Tutor
Ditto........

I was all giddy that I could finally view videos on the Xs, but alas NO!

I even uninstalled/reinstalled, but still NO!

The app looks very pretty though!!!
Matthew1124
Initiate
Initiate
Haha ...me to...thought great stuff all fixed ..frustrating that a update hasn’t fixed it
Phone is great though 👍
dlschro
Tutor
Tutor
I’m having the same issue and I was hoping the Arlo app update would fix this, but it has not. I am able to view the videos on my iPad which is running iOS 12.0.1 so it must be something with the new iPhone. I hope they are working on this at Arlo.
Spuyau
Initiate
Initiate
I have no problems with iOS 12..0.1. Everything works perfectly. on my iPhone 6 Plus. HOWEVER, I recently purchased the new iPhone XS Max, and videos WILL NOT play! Plus, when attempting to view them, the phone crashes and restarts automatically!!!! I’ve submitted a case last month but still no resolution, even with the latest Arlo update (2.6.0) Very frustrating!