Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

More information on HomeKit?

SammyNZ
Star
Star

I know this applies to the Arlo Pro 2 as well but it would be great if there was further details on exactly what the HomeKit update will provide, typical execution (must be powered? Will work off battery?) etc.

Considering how long and how many requests for HomeKit have been posted on these forums I’m sure I’m not the only one after more details. 

And, I’m crossing fingers here, I hope it’s a complete re-write of the code base for the 4K video so we don’t carry the bad bits forward (i.e. pixelated video problems)

146 REPLIES 146
illuminous
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would not be surprised if it is delayed. Given the disasterous Arlo Ultra launch and the scramble to fix the issues, I'm assuming HomeKit took a backseat.

Glix
Apprentice
Apprentice

HOMEKIT DELAY CONFIRMED 

Question to Arlo - 

Q1 HomeKit support still to occur for Pro2 and Ultra?

Response -

We continue to work with Apple to release HomeKit functionality on Ultra. We expect to launch this later this year.

Source

Facebook Arlo Smart Home ANZ Page

Not no mention of Pro2. Typical of Arlo. You can't run a business via press release without being able to have any consistency on being able to deliver a service to paying customers.

Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks.

Then about the only thing I can do is notify the ACCC. (I’m Australian).

You can’t make representations about product functionality just before peak sales time at Christmas then no honour that commitment. That is patently false promotion of a product.

The fact that Arlo won’t respond to its community website astounds me.
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Where have you seen this info?
Glix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sourced from Facebook @ArloSartHomeANZ

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 11.00.55 am.png

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
The thing with any company is privacy until something drops, no matter how big or small of a feature or a product. I’m hoping in the next three days something comes out with homekit but we will see.
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
I truly believe it will drop before March is over!
Glix
Apprentice
Apprentice

I hope your right. But the history of making (false) representaitons makes me less optimistic.

- HomeKit

- Ultra product release 

- Ultra product user performance issues

Ashstew
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s now the end of Q1 and still no HomeKit support for Pro 2 and Ultra.

When is it coming?
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Hoping for something by the end of the night, I 100% know arlo hears us all this topic has been too hot the past couple weeks. Even if they don’t get it to us it would be a big disappointment to not hear anything in why it hasn’t dropped yet.
Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is now the 1st of April and they haven't even bothered responding to the community.

I'll never buy another Arlo product again.

I'm off to write a Product Review as well.

Glix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo have confirmed via Facebook and Twitter the HomeKit launch was delayed. But we all saw this coming. 

We contune to work with Apple to release HomeKit functionality on Ultra. We expect this to launch later this year. - Arlo

Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice

So that message only refers to Ultra when they committed to the Pro and Pro 2 as well.

And why won't they respond to their own community? Who behaves like this??

illuminous
Apprentice
Apprentice
Disappointed but in no way surprised.

My concern now is that Arlo seems to be only mentioning Ultra with respect to HomeKit, and not Arlo Pro 2.

My bet is they only bring it to Ultra now to try to force sales given how bad the Ultra launch was.
Glix
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am surprised latigious US users aren't launching legal action over false claims and misleading and deceptive conduct?

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
It’s only 621 pm in Cali most release notes come out around 630-700 so I still have hope for homekit being released today
dsathe
Tutor
Tutor

Anything come up on the homekit update? 

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Yup, my Arlo pro 2 cameras became HomeKit ready at 9am this morning with the update!
Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
.....April fools! 🤪🤪🤪
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Idk about you guys but I’m feeling a law suit, how embarrassing and shameful for a company, I understand if it’s not doable in the time given originally but WHY NOT GIVE US AN OFFICIAL UPDATE AT ALL?!?!????!? Arlo slacking as always on customer service side..
illuminous
Apprentice
Apprentice

Definitely agree with that. Arlo customer service is shocking. 

I've been using HomeBridge on my Mac to add my Arlo Pro 2 system to HomeKit. It works incredibly well.

This doesn't excuse Arlo misleading its customers but if anyone needs info on how to set up HomeBridge, happy to help.

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
I’m intrigued, Keep on talking!
illuminous
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you have a computer that runs 24/7 then you could look to HomeBridge. I am using it on my Mac Mini media server computer, which runs continuously.

HomeBridge runs through Terminal on the Mac where you can install plugins. I’ve got Arlo and also Wink installed, which allows me to control Z-Wave lights around my house through HomeKit.

Once installed HomeBridge creates the link between HomeKit and these non-HomeKit devices. Arlo shows up in my Home app where I can arm/disarm, view camera streams and add automations, such as arming Arlo when I leave the house and disarm when I return. Amazingly this all works so much better than the Geofencing through the native Arlo app.

persianrunr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi illuminous - Thanks so much for mentioning the existence of this!  I've already gotten a decent bit of progress but can't seem to stream the video from any of the cameras and can only get snapshots. Any chance you could share how you got everything configured? 

illuminous
Apprentice
Apprentice

When you launch HomeBridge in Terminal (assuming you are using a Mac), do you see your Camera names appear in in the Terminal window once launched? 

I actually ended up removing the Camera streams from the Home app and just use the Arlo app for this. I find the Arlo app with all the additional options just works better for viewing the Camera streams and recordings.

In my Home app I am using HomeBridge Arlo for triggering events... arming Arlo when leaving the house, turn outside lights on when motion is detected etc.