Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

More information on HomeKit?

SammyNZ
Star
Star

I know this applies to the Arlo Pro 2 as well but it would be great if there was further details on exactly what the HomeKit update will provide, typical execution (must be powered? Will work off battery?) etc.

Considering how long and how many requests for HomeKit have been posted on these forums I’m sure I’m not the only one after more details. 

And, I’m crossing fingers here, I hope it’s a complete re-write of the code base for the 4K video so we don’t carry the bad bits forward (i.e. pixelated video problems)

146 REPLIES 146
PFeezzy
Aspirant
Aspirant
The 90-day return policy on electronics doesn’t apply?
NoahPZ
Aspirant
Aspirant
It would be nice if Apple and Arlo could work together on it...
illuminous
Apprentice
Apprentice
Apparently there is concern in Arlo that adding HomeKit support will impact the way users interact with the Arlo app and reduce the number of premium subscribers, given many people will manage the system through the Apple Home app.

I’m sure Arlo are trying to find a way to monetise HomeKit support.

With the announcement of HomeKit Secure Video, I’m sure it’s not going to be long until Home Hubs can provide local processing for things like object detection etc. As I’ve said many times before, having this processed in the cloud just adds too much delay. It’s needs to be local.

If people can wait I’d see how things shake out with new HomeKit support from other companies. It’s pretty clear Arlo is incapable of doing this.

etherealskittle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do we have a date on when Arlo Pros will integrate with Apple Homekit?  I see a press release from January(?) but no deadline. 

dsathe
Tutor
Tutor

Welcome to the discussion my friend! You will find a long list of angry customer repsonses in this discussion looking for an answer to the same question!

jakesamp
Star
Star
Oh, don’t you worry, I’ve been here for quite some time... waiting just like everyone else for something that was promised in January. This is complete bull**bleep** that we’re all still waiting for HomeKit!!!
eliaszani
Initiate
Initiate

I know that everyone has been patiently waiting. Does anyone want to bet on the amount of time it takes for the admins to grow a pair and answer the question of when HomeKit support is coming? Last I looked Q1 ended just before Q2 started... Which of course ended at the end of last month (right before Q3 started). I’m moving in a month and if this isn’t straightened out by then, I’ll sell my Arlo baby monitor and go with another company for my solution. It seems like Logitech has their stuff figured out. In case you anyone else is looking for HomeKit compatible devices (There’s plenty), you should check out this page: https://www.apple.com/lae/ios/home/accessories/

PFeezzy
Aspirant
Aspirant
The HomeKit subreddit recently showed a screenshot of a Twitter conversation basically saying the HomeKit code is written but is awaiting certification (I’m guessing an Apple certification).
terrance351
Initiate
Initiate

A couple months back, I purchased a 5 camera Arlo Pro 2 kit from Costco to start my home automation project.  However, because of the delays in Arlo compatibility, I am returning the Arlo cameras.  I don't want to second guess if they are going to work with our primarily Apple devices.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

HomeKit is now available for Pro and Pro 2 cameras, for more information on this and how to set up with HomeKit, take a look here: Apple HomeKit is now compatible with Arlo Pro and Pro 2 cameras!

10/22 update: 

Great news! Apple HomeKit is now supported on Arlo Ultra cameras!

For more information, take a look here: Apple HomeKit is now supported on Arlo Ultra cameras

JamesC

JamesC

iamcrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

After the iOS update (07-Aug-2019) which enabled Homekit support, I tried setting up Homekit via app's Settings and a setup screen popped up from somewhere which scanned the cams and base station. I cancelled the setup as I was in a rush thinking of setting it up later in the day. But when I tried later in the day, the settings screen wouldn't pop up and I can can't get it to work. I tried the Homekit Setup option under the base station and it keeps scanning for devices and doesn't find anything. I tried reset option as well and nothing seems to work. Now, I can't setup Homekit. I also tried restarting my iOS device, Base station and nothing seems to work. How can I trigger the popup/scanning menu which came up from somewhere?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iamcrd,

Take a look here for instructions on how to set up Arlo on HomeKit: How do I connect my Arlo Pro or Pro 2 camera to Apple HomeKit?

JamesC

iamcrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi JamesC,

Under To setup an Arlo camera without a setup code: menu, step #5 doesn't happen i.e, Select the base station you want to add to HomeKit.

And please see attached screenschot for the popup screen I am talking about. How do you trigger this?

dsathe
Tutor
Tutor
Did you try signing out of your account and login? If that does not work then try to uninstall the app and try installing it back again. This is just to clear the cache, so that the app can show that pop up again. Let me know.
Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
I did delete the app twice on my iPhone and once on my iPad already. Still no luck.
Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
I even tried “reset all settings” on my iPhone this morning, and that did nothing but cause me to have to put back all my phone settings... 🙄🙄🙄
Bostro
Star
Star
I do not know what to say. How Arlo you are executing software testing and who is writing manual. You manual is useless. I cannot go step by step as it does not match what I see. In my case in aetting when I go to HomeKit I have message that software is searching for Cameras ?? That I should be nearby them... and I can do nothing! After 30 minutes few feets away for camera nothing is happening. Can someone release valid manual? Can you advise what I should do?
iamcrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Update : Uninstalling the app, restarting the phone and installing the app does bring the screen that I was asking. It pops up automatically in about 2 minutes after opening the app and granting location and home data access.

However, the second screen from that is the exact same one under Devices -> Base -> Homekit setup. And this option does not find any device nearby no matter what workaround I do. This is a Defect!

Bostro
Star
Star
1. Your proposal worked and pop up window showed up to add cameras.
2. Unfortunately it changed nothing and after clicking add cameras its searching and searching ... and I left the phone for 30min. And nothing searching and searching.

Any other ideas what to do? 😕
iamcrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Bostro,

I'm in the same boat with no success.

Funnily enough, it actually showed my devices for the very first time and I cancelled it hoping to set it up later. Not sure if it was flagged as "setup complete" in the system when it actually was not. But considering most users haven't seen their compatible devices identified, I think there is something else going on.

dsathe
Tutor
Tutor
Well in that case Arlo tech support team needs to open a ticket and resolve the issue. I am sure enough testing wasn't done as there was pressure on the team to release the feature asap. Arlo should be able to tackle this.
terrance351
Initiate
Initiate

Just stop.

This week, I went out and bought the current Costco Arlo Pro 2 camera pack, and they are incompatible with Homekit.  The cameras and the base station cannot be added.

This is the second time that I've had to return something from Arlo because it didn't work as stated.