Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

More information on HomeKit?

SammyNZ
Star
Star

I know this applies to the Arlo Pro 2 as well but it would be great if there was further details on exactly what the HomeKit update will provide, typical execution (must be powered? Will work off battery?) etc.

Considering how long and how many requests for HomeKit have been posted on these forums I’m sure I’m not the only one after more details. 

And, I’m crossing fingers here, I hope it’s a complete re-write of the code base for the 4K video so we don’t carry the bad bits forward (i.e. pixelated video problems)

146 REPLIES 146
jakesamp
Star
Star
Did I say that? Nope. “What else have I got”... of what? I haven’t been commenting a whole lot, just want clarification on HomeKit. Didn’t come here for an argument with keyboard warriors.
Bansheefan
Star
Star

I sympathize with you.  I think I misunderstood your comment to be directed at me arguing.    I think the bashing should stop and name calling (i.e. Mr Entitlement) doesn't help much.   Not wanting a keyboard warrior situ either.  Just wanted to support the complaint of no HomeKit.   This is what happens when people argue online - things get too screwed up.  

That said, I have had some troubling quality problems with mine and I'm a newer user.

jakesamp
Star
Star
All I’m saying is that we’re all here on this thread for pretty much the same reason - HomeKit. The name calling and remarks don’t have to come into it, I originally posted this with the hope that someone from Arlo would reply. I think they may have (either on this thread or another one), gave the “working on it” response. They’ve been working on it for quite some time now and I have to ask, is it really that difficult to give the consumer what they want?
Bansheefan
Star
Star

thank you very much.  Very interesting

jakesamp
Star
Star

Well, yeah, I am “bashing Arlo” based on the fact that HomeKit support was promised in Q1.

Bansheefan
Star
Star

You definitely have a point there.  They did notify of the HK situation being ready.  If there was going to be a delay - even after the announcement - they should have communicated it to those who are in fact, waiting on their word.   I don't know what crawled up that one fella's shorts but lets not feed that tree.  Bad seed.

jamesmcseattle
Guide
Guide

Maybe to you but not to me...

I apologize at the underhanded labeling you as "Mr Entitlement" - I admit that was rhetorical only and only leads to inflammation of our discussion. it was uncalled for. I am sorry for that, truly.

I suppose my overall sentiments come to a head when I see people complain about things which they cannot change. While we may be frustrated, threatening class action lawsuits and bashing the company do NOTHING to solve the issue. There has not been 1 company in the last 30 years that I have dealt with that hasn't disappointed me: Failed releases, ghost products, faulty hardware, late releases, companies going bankrupt....seen it all. This is nothing different. 

But I can empathize with you. It sounds like you've had issues that I haven't, and it is arrogant of me to minimize your experience with the product - I'm sorry. 

Bansheefan
Star
Star

No worries here, friend.  I get all of it.  No need to apologize, your perspective is appreciated, it also matters.  Still very kind of you to say all of that.   Let's hope Arlo gets some HK love soon.  

jakesamp
Star
Star
Thanks James... now, back to the waiting game! 😉
ittroll
Apprentice
Apprentice

So at WWDC 2019, Apple announced HomeKit Secure Video which features local image recognition/processing, encrypted video upload, and 10-days of free storage on iCloud. A solution which guarantees complete privacy.

Arlo competitors announced their support at the event, whilst Netgear/Arlo were conspicuous in their absence. I think Arlo customers know exactly what they need to do if they want genuinely useful HomeKit support.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Arlo Pro 2 - Because free is best.
franklindee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi is the arlo 2 compatible with homekit via software update i've seen in the CES 2019

can you please let me know?

thank you

Commacausi
Guide
Guide

Hello Franklindee,

Many of us have the same question and have been asking Arlo for an update since the end of Q1. We’ve gotten not gotten any tesponse from anyone which is raising more and questions about this Company. 

@franklindee wrote:

Hi is the arlo 2 compatible with homekit via software update i've seen in the CES 2019

can you please let me know?

thank you

TheCodingArt
Star
Star

You have to be kidding me, I just purchased the Arlo Ultra cams in the promise of HomeKit support (replacing my Ring cameras). Am I being told this support is ambiguously up in the air with no release date?

jonesaus
Apprentice
Apprentice
It appears so
Fronkenstein
Aspirant
Aspirant
In January this year I saw a press release about HomeKit support for Arlo Pro 2 and Arlo Ultra.
Haven’t heard about it ever since. Was that a hoax?
Dederwan
Apprentice
Apprentice
1.12.3_2762 base station firmware is updated
sharpertool
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does this resolve anything?
sharpertool
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am thinking of buying a 4 camera kit today before i go on vacation but this thread has me wondering.
If arlo does eventually get this support, say with ios 13, woukd you all recommend it? If not, what is a good alternative solution?
Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
My experience with arlo is that when it is all working as intended, it’s great. There are drawbacks though.

Customer service is horrible to deal with, stupid questions that don’t make sense sometimes, and I have had a few tunes that my customer service emails are just plainly ignored.

Also, when the system isn’t working as intended, like the doorbell currently, geofence issues (still going on as well), and the base unit cutting out the internet by itself, then it takes the arlo team WAY too long to fix issues.

Buy at own risk, it’s not the most reliable, but it does work well when it’s working...
jonesaus
Apprentice
Apprentice

no, homekit still not available

LParp
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is getting old.  Between this and other issues, I’m seriously thinking of moving on.

BTW, Costco will take Arlo products back.  So that’s a plus.

ZA1166
Initiate
Initiate

Hello All,

Just wanted to see how I can add my Arlo Pro 2 camera's to my Apple Home app?

If/when this has or will be an integrated feature to the Arlo system. I saw that a formal announcement was made by Arlo on Jan 7th, 2019 that the integration would take place at the end of the quarter....we are now heading into Q3 of 2019? Updates would be appreciated. I bought this system primarily for this reason because I have iPhone and calling out "Hey Siri" commands is easier than having to unlock, open Google Home app, and then do what I need to do.

Thanks,

Arlo User (as long as Homekit is coming soon haha)

andre_vans
Initiate
Initiate

JessicaP - any news on the Q1 2019 launch of HomeKit support? It's not end of Q2 2019...

djvorace8
Aspirant
Aspirant
how long do we still have to wait for this update ?! perhaps they meant the end of q1 2020 ..
jakesamp
Star
Star
We’re all still waiting and all this company does is send replies that don’t answer any of our questions, so I wouldn’t bother. I’m sick and tired of waiting for something that was written on your website in JANUARY this year. You’ve got a lot of angry & disappointed customers who have spent a lot of money on your products - I think it’s about time you gave us an answer, not just “as soon as it becomes available we’ll let you know”... well when it becomes available you won’t need to “let us know” anyway, we can just go into the Arlo app and get screwed around like we all did last time when the app displayed that “HomeKit is ready!”. Not sure how you guys get away with dodging so many of your loyal customers. Disgusting. Answers now, Arlo/NETGEAR.