Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

More information on HomeKit?

SammyNZ
Star
Star

I know this applies to the Arlo Pro 2 as well but it would be great if there was further details on exactly what the HomeKit update will provide, typical execution (must be powered? Will work off battery?) etc.

Considering how long and how many requests for HomeKit have been posted on these forums I’m sure I’m not the only one after more details. 

And, I’m crossing fingers here, I hope it’s a complete re-write of the code base for the 4K video so we don’t carry the bad bits forward (i.e. pixelated video problems)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

HomeKit is now available for Pro and Pro 2 cameras, for more information on this and how to set up with HomeKit, take a look here: Apple HomeKit is now compatible with Arlo Pro and Pro 2 cameras!

10/22 update: 

Great news! Apple HomeKit is now supported on Arlo Ultra cameras!

For more information, take a look here: Apple HomeKit is now supported on Arlo Ultra cameras

JamesC

JamesC

View solution in original post

146 REPLIES 146
Cadillac_Cowboy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking to replace my extensive surveilance system early next year and because I am unhappy with the manufacturer I have used in the past, I am looking at the alternatives...

The "Arlo Pro 2" products certainly look impressive, but they do not seem to have support for Apple's HomeKit and it is not clear if this planned for the future... Unfortunately, the "Arlo" website does not give me the option to e-mail technical/sales support.

So does "Arlo Pro 2" support HomeKit and if not, is there any information to suggest that this might be coming?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi Cadillac_Cowboy,

We currently only support the Homekit with the Arlo Baby. If Homekit support becomes available for other products we will post an announcement.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @SammyNZ,

You can read more about our HomeKit Support for Arlo Pro 2 and Ultra here: Arlo to Add Apple HomeKit Support for Arlo Ultra and Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera Systems

coleythebest
Initiate
Initiate

It was just announced that the Arlo 2 will be getting homekit support via a software update. 

Cadillac_Cowboy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sources:

* https://www.gadgetguy.com.au/arlo-at-ces-2019/

* https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/07/arlo-announces-homekit-software-update-for-its-home-security-cameras-...

* https://eftm.com/2019/01/arlo-adds-security-products-and-apple-homekit-integration-at-ces-56242

* https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/07/arlo-ultra-4k-hdr-camera-home-security-system/

From what I can tell, the firmware update/upgrade for existing models will be coming sometime in Quarter 1 (i.e. January/February/March 2019), and the new (camera) model will be coming in "late 2019"...

Anyway, now I have an excuse to buy Arlo!

SammyNZ
Star
Star

This does indeed address the camera, thanks @JessicaP

The follow up to this would be what about the other hardware?

Are there any plans to expose the doorbell, spotlight, security (motion, temperature sensors), etc. as well?

This would help make it a very compelling product for HomeKit users as it starts to look like an all-in-one system without having to mish-mash various vendors products.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We currently don't have any information related with other hardware. Once we do have more information, we will be sure to update the community.

Another option is to post your idea to have more of our hardware linked with HomeKit through our Idea Exchange board where our development team routinely reviews posts to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. 

SuperiorCosmos
Aspirant
Aspirant
So Homekit will not be available for the original Arlo Pro? Only the Arlo Pro 2?
Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice
Can I ask when we should expect it?

Is it a month away? 3 months? 6 months?

I know an exact date is not possible but sharing a broad ETA would be helpful.

Thanks!
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Technojames,

HomeKit support  for Arlo Ultra and Pro 2 will be available at the end of Q1 2019. You can read more about it here: Arlo to Add Apple HomeKit Support for Arlo Ultra and Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera Systems

Veldorm
Initiate
Initiate
Any news about when homekit is coming to pro2? Other than 1. Quarter?
Glix
Apprentice
Apprentice

We are inching closer to the end of Q1 and still no update regarding HomeKit. Please prove me wrong.
I am hoping Q1 is reached and not a 'farrrr quuuue'.

Bostro
Star
Star
Any update? We have March 2019.
The link beibg provided multiple time tels nothing new from longer time.
Can we get some update please?
Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi,

Nearly Mid-March and nothing. No advice. No information. No drop date.

Can you please advise the date?

Failing release of the HomeKit update I’ll be returning all my Arlo equipment for a full refund.. you can’t make statements about functionality to market the remove that offer. It is false advertising.

My conern is you’ve just announced a sale on Arlo Pro 2 cameras but haven’t mentioned HomeKit.

So now that there is only 20 days left in the 1st quarter of 2019, when will HomeKit go live?
SammyNZ
Star
Star
I’m patiently waiting for iOS 12.2 to drop. I have a feeling there are some needed HomeKit changes (along with the airplay/HomeKit TV support) that are required for Arlo to properly support HomeKit.

I know that there is a camera/battery powered limitation from Apples side but I’ve had no issues making my Arlo baby cameras mobile (they have a battery) and still accessible in the Home app.

I’m sure they will relax certain restrictions which will mean that the team can finally release the promised support.

Then again, I wouldn’t be surprised it we see this in Q3 in the end...
Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi,

Just wondering if you can provide an update on HomeKit for Arlo Pro?

Is it on track? Will it be released this quarter?

Your company has made public statements that influence people’s purchasing decisions. I think it is important to keep your customers informed right?
Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice
It is the 24th of March.

HomeKit support is supposed to be rolled out at the end of the 1st quarter 2019 as per your press release.

So... how’s it coming along? When is it going to drop?
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Hello arlo community, anybody know if HomeKit is still on for q1/19?
Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice
Going to reply?

Where is Homekit?
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Hmmm any word on HomeKit? It’s almost the end of q/1 19.
Glix
Apprentice
Apprentice

I asked the following question on the Arlo Australian/New Zealand facebook thread;

Question

Q1 HomeKit support still to occur for Pro2 and Ultra?

Official response -

There currently is no timeline for this. Stay tuned for updates. ^KN

In otherwords the press relelase may be grounds for misleading and deceptive conduct under the Australian Trade Practices Act. Wooing in customers to boost sales, on something they cannot deliver.

My expectations on Arlo to deliver anything are now very low. Not happy.

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Now now we are close to the ending of q1, it’s not over yet but we will see only as time comes in the next 5 days how things go. If they said the end of q1 then it could literally be the last day or sooner , you shouldn’t be jumping to your conclusion so early saying you don’t believe in them.
dsathe
Tutor
Tutor

Its almost end of Q1 and according to the press release, it was mentioned that HomeKit support will be coming by Q1. Please dont follow Ring's footsteps. This way people will look for other alternatives. 

Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice
jessicaP

Will you be responding to this request for information?

I would say that silence is not managing the situation well.