Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had this working for a couple of years where I've integrated a driveway sensor to a open/close ST's sensor.   When someone came down the driveway, it triggered the open/close sensor which in turn fired off a custom rule in ST to start 2 cameras recording for 1 minute.    Worked great  UNTIL 2 weeks ago.   No changes were made by me.  I don't know of ST or Arlo updated anything.    I've restarted, rebuilt, deleted rules, added new rules, nothing.   I can see in the ST app for the camera that a "sent Capture Command to porch camera" was sent.   But the camera doesn't do anything.   I've had it in disabled mode, ST mode, armed (on arlo).    Was there an update from either company that might have screwed up this integration?   I can manually trigger the camera in ST to record, but not by a rule.    This really stinks because this was a great security feature.   If I can't find a solution I'll have to rethink my whole setup.     Thanks for any advice.    I did search and went thru this thread just to make sure I didn't miss anyting.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Record-without-motion-Smartthings-Arlo/m-p/1531162#M50207

295 REPLIES 295
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
I just got off the phone a few min ago with Arlo on my first call back related to my case. The support person I talked to seemed to know exactly what I was explaining as the issue and indicated engineering was working on recreating the issue. He indicated he was from level 2 supporting. I explained as much as could about what is seen from Smartthings. They were also understanding this is specific to the Arlo Pro 2 cameras as my Arlo Q's are working fine.

Talking with him, he seemed to be getting directions from the engineers as what questions to ask and info to clarify. That could also just be my hope. But I feel a little better now that they are actively working it. He said he will reach back out after having further discussions with them.
fishwteeth
Tutor
Tutor

I had the same issue with submitting a issue online... currently on hold with support #10th in line....

rscott09
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks Maverick for the update, that’s encouraging news.

Mistersandman
Tutor
Tutor
For what it’s worth I’m also having the same problem with my Arlo Pros.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Charbo26
Aspirant
Aspirant
I use smartthings and Arlo to trigger recordings. My cameras are setup inside and I have separate motion sensors setup outside which are supposed to trigger smartthings to send a recording request to Arlo to record for 2 minutes. This has been working fine since January. Starting 9/30, I have not had any recordings on Arlo side even though on the smartthings side it says that it's sending request to record. but I have changed nothing on my end. I believe there was a firmware update for the Arlo base the same day I started having issues. I contacted Arlo support and their response was "the camera motion sensors trigger properly so the error is on smartthings side". Based on what I have seen it does not seem that way to me. Any thoughts?
EirikHuse
Guide
Guide

I have the same problem, and the error is on the Arlo side. Startet after a forced firmware update from Arlo.

rscott09
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks ShayneS for the update.  If the development team needs someone to help in diagnosing the problem or in testing a solution I volunteer, just drop an email to me.  I'm retired so I have lots of time.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@rscott09

Thank you for the info! I will keep this noted.

Vangroovysvt
Tutor
Tutor

For what it's worth. I am having the same issues with Arlo Pro and Smartthings/IFTTT. Smartthings triggers failed end of August.

Vangroovysvt
Tutor
Tutor

For what it's worth. I am having the same issues with Arlo Pro and Smartthings/IFTTT. Triggers failed end of August. Looking forward to a fix.

isuat960
Guide
Guide

Exact thing happening to me at exactly the same time as others are reporting, 8/30.  ST integration working great for 6 months.  I still see the ST capture command going from ST out to Arlo but Arlo is no longer recording.  opened a ticket 2 weeks ago (41096423)...they say thet have many users citing the same issue.

I also tried factory reset, and start over, but not working.  The Arlo rules are very limiting and the main reason I bought Arlo was because I have extensive ST devices all over the house, been building them up since I was a kickstarter supporter of ST in ~2014.    The rules you van set up and trigger, different for each camera, within ST made it a very attractive solution and was working perfectly until that weekend.

fishwteeth
Tutor
Tutor

@ShayneS  do you have an update?  We're going on 2 weeks of downtime for our security.  I really don't want to have switch my recording system, but will need to start investigating other options soon.

Thanks,

Fish

macmus
Guide
Guide

This is still broken.

My secuirity is usless now. This has to be fixed ASAP otherwise there is no point in using Arlo anymore.

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have submitted a request for an update, linked to my orignial support case.    hopefully there will be a response soon.   If I hear anything, I'll let you know.    

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @fishwteeth

I apologize for the inconvenience, I will provide an update as soon as I receive it. 

rscott09
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just called support to get an update on my case number.  They said their development team is still working on our Smartthings Interface problem. It’s frustrating because my security system is still down because the Smartthings sensors no longer trigger Arlo recordings.  

DaWeav
Guide
Guide

I have the Arlo Q Plus camera which is currently working (for now). However, you are advising that the current Arlo Android app will stop working at the end of September so I need to update to the new Arlo app. Researching further, it appears that Arlo has been split off from Netgear and is now your own company. The new app went live this month and now users are having Smartthings integration issues with Arlo cameras. I was going to purchase a few more Arlo Q Plus cameras, but now I’m concerned since other Samsung Smartthings users all are having issues this month when it appears the new Arlo company is switching things over. And, to make my concerns worst, all the reviews in Android app store for the new Arlo app are really bad.

Will my Arlo Q Plus camera stop working with Samsung Smartthings as your new company starts taking over?

Anyway I sure hope you keep the current native integration between Arlo cameras and Smartthings working after the end of this month, but I’m sure keeping any purchasing plans for some additional Arlo Q Plus cameras on hold for now since so many users are posting the new Arlo Android app isn't working like it should, and other Smartthings users are advising they are having Smartthings integration issues.

macmus
Guide
Guide

eh.. here goes quality testing.

we are live beta testing organizm and not getting paid for that.

Charbo26
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not sure I follow. Are you saying they are beta testing a new firmware release that may fix this issue?
walts81
Aspirant
Aspirant
The SmartThings motion triggers seem to work IF I add a motion trigger in the Arlo app. However that’s not a great workaround, because then the Arlo app trigger must have an action assigned (either recording or push notification or both). I setup Arlo app to record a camera on motion. And then one of my existing smartthings integrations sent me a push notification and saw the motion. However, I’d like smartthings to control the recording and I’m pretty confident that the recording that was captured was just because of the trigger in the Arlo app because it was 14s long (until motion stops) and smartthings tells it to record for a full minute
walts81
Aspirant
Aspirant
To clarify my previous post...

Arlo app is in “SmartThings” mode which had no triggers setup

SmarthThings app had integration setup to send push notification and record for one minute when motion on camera.

SmartThings hasn’t seen motion since the Arlo firmware upgrade.

Went into Arlo app (new one, not legacy) and added motion trigger to camera with action to record until motion stops.

Immediately next motion that happened, I got a push notification from SmartThings. Went to SmartThings app and saw the motion events in the log. Checked the Arlo app for a recording and there was 1 for 14s.
Charbo26
Aspirant
Aspirant
Walts81 sounds like the camera is triggering the recording and not smartthings. I just tried what you mentioned but still not recording on my end. The motion sensors on my cameras don't work because the cameras are inside and aimed out a window so my cameras will never record motion. This is why I need the smartthings trigger.
walts81
Aspirant
Aspirant
Oh, I agree. I just thought it was interesting that SmartThings didn’t see the motion until the trigger was created in the the Arlo app. Because it did before this latest firmware upgrade.
dejhom
Star
Star

Yes, I also have been using a separate sensor to trigger some of my Camera's as motion sensing from Arlo just won't do the job I need.  Pretty frustrating that after 18 months of use, it has been offline for nearly 4 weeks and still haven't heard anything from the company.  It is quite clearly related to their changes at the end of August.  Honestly, if you want people spending upwards of 1000 bucks on equipment, you can't just take away functionality, and then go to ground and pretend it is not happening.  Couldn't be more disappointed at the moment.