Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Arlo homekit official update by anyone at arlo??
447 REPLIES 447
Expedy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Starting from scratch and renaming the Base Station fixed remote viewing, thanks.  Last hurdle is getting the cam's to appear on other devices via HomeKit.  One baby step at a time...

The_Ricky
Apprentice
Apprentice

@wdw1532 wrote:
I also cannot use the motion triggers for automations. Every motion sensor (camera) says that it’s ready in HomeKit but they never get triggered.

Now that Homekit seems to be working fine I will text automations with the sensors and will check back. 

The_Ricky
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Expedy wrote:

Starting from scratch and renaming the Base Station fixed remote viewing, thanks.  Last hurdle is getting the cam's to appear on other devices via HomeKit.  One baby step at a time...

After you're done setting things up on your other devices, dont forget to restart them.

Abmet
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm using Eero (model 2 and two Beacons) and was able to add my cameras to HomeKit.

Abmet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not that I could find.  Seems like a very usefull feature, so hopefully will get added in the future.

Expedy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wow. Just updated to IOS 13 Beta 6 in iPad OS and now live cam appeared in HomeKit on this device. Next hurdle is the sensor...

Abmet
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm able to connect to my cameras in the HomeKit app.  Was taking around 7 seconds or so to show live after clicking on one.  I can see image on my Apple Watch too, but below it says connecting.  I gave up after a minute or so.  I'm on iOS 12.4 iPhone XS.

The_Ricky
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Abmet wrote:

I'm able to connect to my cameras in the HomeKit app.  Was taking around 7 seconds or so to show live after clicking on one.  I can see image on my Apple Watch too, but below it says connecting.  I gave up after a minute or so.  I'm on iOS 12.4 iPhone XS.

I was having the same issue, seeing an updated image on my Watch but couldn't live stream on it. All I did was rebooting the watch and I can now see the live stream on my watch. 

CamNZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

When is HomeKit capability coming for the VMB5000??

It seems ridiculous that your latest hub and cameras are not HomeKit compatible.

Massive failing. 

123ABC455
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the same issue. It’s not at all clear how to add cameras without a code and there’s no code on my unit, even though it’s a supported model.
CamNZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

It comes down to the base station that you are using. 

Only two are; VMB4000 and the VMB4500

So, if you are a stupid like I am and purchased a later version following Arlo’s announcement of HomeKit support (at the start of this year) then you are out of luck. However, standing applause to Arlo by not announcing the finer points - i.e. that the newer releases of their range wont be HomeKit comparable within a realistic timeframe. 

adammiarka
Apprentice
Apprentice

@CamNZ wrote:

It comes down to the base station that you are using. 

Only two are; VMB4000 and the VMB4500

So, if you are a stupid like I am and purchased a later version following Arlo’s announcement of HomeKit support (at the start of this year) then you are out of luck. However, standing applause to Arlo by not announcing the finer points - i.e. that the newer releases of their range wont be HomeKit comparable within a realistic timeframe. 

Arlo CEO indicated Q4 for release of HomeKit for the Ultras...you just need to hold onto your 4K a little longer.  Smiley Tongue

123ABC455
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks! That helped. Now I have the devices added, but I don’t see a way to set automations in HomeKit like arm or disarm. Am I missing something?
123ABC455
Aspirant
Aspirant
No me. Looking forward to a solution being posted...
123ABC455
Aspirant
Aspirant
That’s lame. What’s the point, then? Ugh.
illuminous
Apprentice
Apprentice
@123ABC455

You can’t arm/disarm. For whatever reason Arlo decided to completely ignore this critical feature. It just crazy.

I’m going back to Homebridge-Arlo which allows full HomeKit to be used.
Mikem30303
Guide
Guide

Is anyone having success with automation where an Arlo camera will turn on lights (Hue, Lutron, etc)?

The_Ricky
Apprentice
Apprentice

@123ABC455 wrote:
That’s lame. What’s the point, then? Ugh.

While I completely agree with you about not including arm/disarm in Homekit, Im not 100% sure its something that Homekit can do in iOS 12. I know you can do arm/disarm with Homebridge but I don't think Homekit fully supports arm/disarm.

I think Homebridge does something else outside of Homekit to make it work but I might be wrong.

On the positive side, you can do automations, use the cameras as sensors, use Siri to call the cameras or automations done with the cameras, etc...

illuminous
Apprentice
Apprentice

@The_Ricky 

Homekit in iOS 12 can absolutely support the arm/disarming of secruity devices. Homebridge is acting as the same Bridge you see when you add Homekit through the Arlo app. Arlo simply needs to expose the Base Station to Homekit to allow the Arm/Disarm ability. 

Arlo are choosing to not implement this feature.

wdw1532
Aspirant
Aspirant

On the positive side, you can do automations, use the cameras as sensors, use Siri to call the cameras or automations done with the cameras, etc...

I cannot use the sensors.... I mean I can, but they never get triggered.

When force touch the sensor, it says it is ready. and the next page says the motion is NO.IMG_5160.jpgIMG_C519C72A70A4-1.jpg

See my attachment. 

The_Ricky
Apprentice
Apprentice

@wdw1532 wrote:

I cannot use the sensors.... I mean I can, but they never get triggered.

When force touch the sensor, it says it is ready. and the next page says the motion is NO.IMG_5160.jpgIMG_C519C72A70A4-1.jpg

See my attachment. 

For some reason I can't see your attachment but if you go to the home app, 3d touch the motion sensor for the camera, click on settings, then scroll down where it says Status and Notifications. Turn on Status and Notifications.

The cool things about the notification on my lock screen is that I see a screenshot of the video. With Arlo, you have to pay in order to see the video screenshot as a notification. 

The weird thing is that I sometimes see the video screenshot and I sometimes don't see the video screenshot, just the notification. I also have the Arlo app notifications on and it seems right now, the Arlo app notifications shows up about 5-10 seconds sooner than the Homekit notification

DGArkie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Too late for me. I too assumed that would ONLY clear the HomeKit data in the Arlo app since that’s where it appeared. WRONG. 

jazzphone
Tutor
Tutor

Curious if this works without an internet connection.   One of the really cool things about HomeKit is that everything is done locally and not sent to the cloud.

I can understand video not being fed locally to devices in the Home app, but curious if the motion sensors still trigger.

May have to test this out.

The_Ricky
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jazzphone wrote:

Curious if this works without an internet connection.   One of the really cool things about HomeKit is that everything is done locally and not sent to the cloud.

I can understand video not being fed locally to devices in the Home app, but curious if the motion sensors still trigger.

May have to test this out.

Let us know if its works!

Lrepass
Aspirant
Aspirant
Every time I try to setup HomeKit, I get an “uncertified accessory “ error (see screen shot attached”. Is anyone else seeing this?

I’ve tried setting my homehub, reset my base station, reinstall the app; etc. No success so far.